• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dome light won't come on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

1997 Ranger XLT

The dome light hasn't worked since I bought the truck a couple weeks ago.

It will not come on when the door is open or when I rotate the wheel on the dash up.

I can hear a relay click under the dash when I open the door.

The "dingy" thing works if the key is in the ignition with the door open.

The two lights in the dome light will each come on with the switch.

Here is a pic of the fixture. Does everything look right in here?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if you pulled the lense off to take that pic, you broke the fixture in doing so. the silver reflective part is supposed to stay on the truck. it wont effect operation, but you wont be able to re-attach the lense.

is that bottom screw sticking out? it needs to be screwed in solidly (the electricity is carried into the fixture by the 3 screws).

kengle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I had the issue in my 96 Ranger where the dome light would not shut off when i closed to door and that had to do with the contact in the door. I just sprayed the inside of the door latch with some WD-40 and it has worked every since. You could possibly have the same problem, just instead if staying on it stays off.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I had the issue in my 96 Ranger where the dome light would not shut off when i closed to door and that had to do with the contact in the door.
if it was the door pin, the light would function when he rolled the dimmer switch all the way to the top. the power isnt making it to the light for some reason.

09ajmaros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
The prvious owner of my truck did the same thing that wicked said, he unscrewed the third screw which left it off. For a long time I thought I didn't have a domelight and was glad I messed with it and found out.You can tell electricity flows through the screw to make contact for the light because of the raceway strips.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Thanks for the information everyone!

I screwed the 3rd screw back in and the light works fine now. I spayed some liquid wrench on the switches in the door latches because one of them seemed to be sticking, which is probably why the previous owner loosened the screw.

To fix the fixture I drilled a hole through the metallic part and put a bolt through the two parts to hold them together. I'm going out now to put it back in.

09ajmaros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Yea it sure is nice to have a domelight again. It looks like the back of the bolt should clear the roof. There should be enough room back there.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Yep, it all went back together and works fine now. The black slide switch isn't in the picture, I put it in the fixture before attaching it to the truck.

Thanks again to all who helped! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals