• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle Pivot Bushing

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do I really have to remove the axle to replace the axle pivot bushing on my 87 STX 4x4?

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just did mine yesterday. also changed the radius arm bushings.

Just pull the bolt out of the axle pivot, remove the nut from the radius arm, hang the brake calper out of the way and unbolt the shock and sway bar. you will need a heavy duty tie down strap or two, or a come along to pull the axle forward and every thing should drop out with a little prying. I wouldn't call it easy, but just never panick, it will come apart and it will go back together. the instructions say to do one side at a time, but honestly if you do both I think it would go better. Let the axle pivot bolts on both sides till last that way you can swing the entire assembly both ways to get the radius arms back in place.

The hardest part of the whole job for me was getting the axle pivot bolts loose. Didn't have the right metric wrench for the nut so I had to use a 13/16 open end. then I used a jack for leverage to bust it loose. soak everything for days with penitrating oil so that the bolt comes out of the bushing. Then I burned the old rubber ones out with a mapp gass plumbing torch.

Very much worth doing, tightens the entire front end back up.

This is probably more info than you needed, still fresh in my mind if you have any questions

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How long did it take you to do it? This is a daily driver as I need it for work and all that. Just to be clear the bushing I am talking about replacing is in the center where the 2 I beams come together..?

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
took me about 3 hours per side. I didn't do things the smartest way though.

The passenger side axle pivot bushing is near the drivers side frame rail and vice versa.
They cross over to make for a longer moment arm. There is probably a picture of a ttb suspension in the tech section.

Since your truck is from the eighties, I would consider having a grinder and new set of bolts on hand since if the bushings are really bad, its posible to get the bolt rust welded to the center metal piece of the bushing. (I had this when I replaced the spring eye bushings)

If you were only going to change the axle pivot and not the radius arm, you could probably take the bolt out and get enough room with a crow bar. I don' t know which replacement bushings you are planning to use. The rubber ones from autozone have the metal sleave molded on and need a ball joint tool to press out the old bushing . I used the james duff poly bushings and cooked the old ones out with a torch. Much easier, you have to be careful not to catch the rest of the truck on fire as well as make sure you get the old metal sleave nice and clean before you put the new poly bushing in to prevent it getting stuck, also grease the new one(poly only) very heavily before shoving it in or it will probably squeak.

jsoluna

Reaction score
Do you have to use your original bushing sleeves and install them over the poly bushings upon installing?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Do you have to use your original bushing sleeves and install them over the poly bushings upon installing?
Don't remove the original outer metal bushing shell, this will be re-used.....the new bushings just slide inside of it.

What is the best brand urethane bushing to replace these with James Duff, Energy Suspension, or? Looked online and Energy shows some of the Ranger axle pivot bushings going into an oval hole in the suspension arm....IIRC they are all round holes like the James Duff site shows?

http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/bodylifts.html

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ordered the bushings from James Duff today, hope they are as good as the bushings I bought from them for my 2wheel drive Ranger.

Dan R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Radius arm bushings workout

I have been wrastling with the LH side all afternoon.
Disconnecting the pivot and radius bolts together is the way to go. Using tie downs on the beam and radius arm will keep the beam suspended and maneuverable with the help of a jack for the radius arm bushings and pivot bearings.
Otherwise you are trying to manhandle this heavy lump. You know how I know.
Curiously, the Moog poly bushings are thicker than the original rubber ones.
Did they compress with age?
The Ford stiff nuts are hard to turn. I will replace the 3/4" coarse nuts with nyloc lock nuts. On the RH side beside the exhaust I will add thread lock.
Dan
just did mine yesterday. also changed the radius arm bushings.

Just pull the bolt out of the axle pivot, remove the nut from the radius arm, hang the brake calper out of the way and unbolt the shock and sway bar. you will need a heavy duty tie down strap or two, or a come along to pull the axle forward and every thing should drop out with a little prying. I wouldn't call it easy, but just never panick, it will come apart and it will go back together. the instructions say to do one side at a time, but honestly if you do both I think it would go better. Let the axle pivot bolts on both sides till last that way you can swing the entire assembly both ways to get the radius arms back in place.

The hardest part of the whole job for me was getting the axle pivot bolts loose. Didn't have the right metric wrench for the nut so I had to use a 13/16 open end. then I used a jack for leverage to bust it loose. soak everything for days with penitrating oil so that the bolt comes out of the bushing. Then I burned the old rubber ones out with a mapp gass plumbing torch.

Very much worth doing, tightens the entire front end back up.

This is probably more info than you needed, still fresh in my mind if you have any questions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals