• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can u guys tell me about 2.9 v6's

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys im getting a 90 b2 with 2.9 v6 and 147,000 miles..ive had a 4.0 for a long time and it was good and always started in winters.

what i want to know is first:

i live in bemidji, minnesota so -40 degree winters are not uncommon...will this 2.9 fuel injected engine start every morning if i plug in the block heater?

how good is the 2.9 and 5 speed on gas? right now its 100% stock with i think 3.45 or 3.55 gears and d35. but i am planning on running 33's with that gearing and do alot of highway driving since my parents back home are 5 hours away.

what are some common problems or complaints u guys have with the 2.9s?

how much do headman headers help the proformance of a 2.9?

is this going to be a reliable engine for a daily drive i rely on?

thanks

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They rattle cause the lifters go bad, they overheat real easy, the tfi module goes bad cause its right next to the firewall. thats the bad that I can think of.

The good. They can take revving up th 5 grand w/out problem. When they run right, they're pretty tuff. When they do go, the 4.0 is a direct bolt in, you have to add the wiring from the donor.

Go to the tech section, there is a lot of info on the 2.9. Some people love em.

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this motor runs perfectly quiet...she just purrs..no tickng

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what about cold weather starting?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Agreed and you wont like 33s with that gearing.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
what about cold weather starting?
mine starts easy in the winter. ticks for a few seconds when cold but the TFI is the biggest downfall i must have done 6 of those in the last 2 years and this truck only has 103000 kilometers.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine runs great all year round. I have 33's with 3.73 gearing and its a bit sluggish. youll probably want to address the gearing when going to a bigger tire

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i did some research on TFI and they seem like a common PITA so since i work at oreilly i can get a new one for 15$ is it worth it to get a new one now??

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wouldn't bother replacing a TFI just for the sake of replacing it. I would run over to Advance and grab me a "Ford Ignition Module Tool". They are about $5 and are so got-dang useful for getting those TFI's in and out that I own two.

Now, even though I wouldn't replace it right off, if you can get a TFI for $15, I would buy one and throw it in the glove box. Just in case. Sometimes they will go without warning. Normally the engine will stall at idle or during neutral coast for a few weeks before the TFI fails.

As for 33's and 3.45 gears, you won't like it. I drive 60 miles of highway on 27's with 3.45s through a hilly areas, and I don't like it. I'd go for 3.73s, at least. 4.10s would be better.

2.9 is a stout little engine though. Mine can be fussy some days, but she still makes a great commuter truck, and there is little that I'd be afraid to tow with it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I ran 32's and 33's with 3.45s and it was terrible. I would advise you not to do it, the truck was a total dog and I probably wasted half my clutch doing it. The 4.10s I eventually put in made a WORLD of difference. I am still pondering doing 4.56s and some point if I find a free D35.

The 2.9s are OK I guess. Figure that you may need to change the valve cover gaskets, they are usually leaking. Don't overheat it and just make sure your cooling system is in excellent condition. The two I've had were alright, worlds better than all my old 2.8s but certainly no 302.

jhammel85

I wouldn't bother replacing a TFI just for the sake of replacing it. I would run over to Advance and grab me a "Ford Ignition Module Tool". They are about $5 and are so got-dang useful for getting those TFI's in and out that I own two.

Now, even though I wouldn't replace it right off, if you can get a TFI for $15, I would buy one and throw it in the glove box. Just in case. Sometimes they will go without warning. Normally the engine will stall at idle or during neutral coast for a few weeks before the TFI fails.

As for 33's and 3.45 gears, you won't like it. I drive 60 miles of highway on 27's with 3.45s through a hilly areas, and I don't like it. I'd go for 3.73s, at least. 4.10s would be better.

2.9 is a stout little engine though. Mine can be fussy some days, but she still makes a great commuter truck, and there is little that I'd be afraid to tow with it.
Totally agree with this. Especially on the TFI. When mine died it gave no indication. The truck always had a low rpm/under load miss until the TFI died. After that it was all good.

Keep the tool and a spare tfi in the toolbox...It'll save ya one day:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Figure that you may need to change the valve cover gaskets, they are usually leaking. Don't overheat it and just make sure your cooling system is in excellent condition.
This is good advice too. Napa sells a set of gaskets made from rubber, not cork, and I have had great luck with those. I was doing my cork gaskets every two years or so. These rubber ones have lasted close to 10 now.

The other big thing that makes a world of difference in the way a 2.9 5speed runs is to pull the trans out and throw a 4.0 clutch and flywheel in there. Makes clutch engagement so much nicer, it's not even funny.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah i replaced my valve cover gaskets with cork and they blew out almost instantly. i have a set of rubber ones to put in. also i bought a brand new tfi from napa and it died really quick too. personally the oem one is better.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Heco is right about the OEM TFIs, but if you get them from work for $15 that may be the way to go.

I work for a Ford dealer. My price on the OE module is $85. You can buy 5 for that price. Retail price on the OE ones is closer to $120.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Get an oem from junkyard that's where I got my last one better then the napa one so far

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals