• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD to M5OD swap

djt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I already swapped in a 97 4.0 and wiring harness for a manual. I bypassed all the electronics on the a4ld, but it finally gave out with only 1st gear. I still have the 97 donor truck with all the parts for the m5od, but i just need to know what will and wont work with my 88 ranger if i do a swap for the m5od. Wiring and computer is good, i just need info on the clutch linkage and pedal assembly and what out of the 97 will work in the 88.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't done the swap your planning but I'm 95% sure the pedal assemblies are different from a 1st gen Ranger to a 2nd (or 3rd) gen.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pedal assembly is about the only thing that won't work, as far as I know.

djt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im almost positive the assemblies are different, but i think i know where to get one. the other question is does anyone know if an '88 brake/clutch assemly work with the '97 clutch linkages and hardware since i already have all of it in a donor truck

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
an 88 brake and clutch assy will match up to a 91 hydraulic system. Those components are compatible with the trans you have.

Remember, the salve needs replaced or it will go bad soon.

djt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Adsm08, so on your swap you just had to change out the hydraulic system and everything else was basically a bolt up

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Kinda. My swap was a bit different from yours, because I went from an FM145 to an M5 so there were a few things I had to change that you won't.

My pedal assy is an 87, my hydraulics are from a 91 Ranger, and my trans is from a 91 Explorer. I know there were minor changes to the slave couplers over the years, but as far as I know, any pre-98 slave will bolt into any pre-98 trans, on the M5ODs. So as long as your master and slave match years you should be good.

As far as the 91 parts, I know they match the pedals because that's what I'm using. Make sure to grab the clutch switch too. The plug for it is on your harness, you just need to take the jumper out. Its a 2 wire plug that just has a wire looped into itself. Best thing I can think of to describe what it looks like, if you have a daughter, it kinda looks like a little doll purse when unplugged.

I'll try to grab you a pic of it later today anyway. I'm pulling my dash out this afternoon to rearrange some wires.

djt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i found everything i need except for the 4wd tailhousing. i have a 2wd m5od and i know to change it over i just need the main shaft and tailhousing. Before any grief $650 for 4wd m5od from JY or $160 main shaft, $150 for shop doing work conversion, and whatever for the tailshaft.
1- Will the tailshaft from a4ld work on the m50d? I've seen the question but cant find an answer.
2- Does anyone know where i could get a 4wd tailshaft or atleast a part number so i may be able to find one?
3- Do I have to change/move the transmission crossmember?
4- Will the driveshafts need to be changed from length differences in the transmissions?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals