• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Bronco 2 Daily Driver

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
So the 88 Bronco 2 I picked up about a month ago, I managed to scrape up enough savings to have the transmission rebuilt so it will at least be drive-able.

I need to work on getting the windshield wiper mess figured out. They work, but they don't turn off unless you pull the circuit breaker. So, my guess is the park mechanism isn't working, but someone on here has got to know more about this than I do so any ideas would be appreciated.

Going to probably go pick it up from the transmission shop this week, so next weekend I was planning on doing the brakes front and rear, then take it down and have the ball joints done on it.

So overall its in pretty descent condition to start driving it around town. Not going to worry too much right now about getting the AC looked at as summer is about over anyways.

So now with the transmission rebuilt and back to powering itself, I'll start driving it mostly. The things that are left to do are a few minor things, like I said the brakes and ball joints will be done this week/weekend. Wipers I'll sort out this week as well. Tires are almost new so at least I don't have to go down that road for a while HAHA!!!

Going to do a fluid change (oil, filter, front & rear differentials, and transfer case) so I have records of when it was done.

The bit of driving I did with it prior to the transmission rebuild, it never got hot and I did the glove test to check for the head/head gasket issues and didn't find any issues. The transmission shop did replace the fuel pressure regulator as it had a hole in it and was causing some flooding trouble. After they fixed that they said its running much better, and the smoking problem has gone away. So the engine sounds fine so no major work there.

So really I guess its not too bad for $3,000...at least I drove this one home, the other one I had to haul home on a trailer LOL. No major rust issues on this one either, the hood does need painted, but thinking I may just sand it down and primer it for now.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had wiper problems that turned out be the harness wires in the the column, you might check that.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I'll do that when I get a chance, been working longer hours at work lately so the B2 is mostly on the back burner.

Got it back from the transmission shop monday evening, drove it home and it seemed really sluggish, not wanting to accelerate properly, had a hard time maintaining 65mph on flat ground with the pedal to the floor. Called the shop this morning and they sent a wrecker out to pick it up. Talked to them before they closed and they traced it to a stuck solenoid in the valve body of the transmission :(. Not exactly happy about the way things have gone so far with that shop and I'm betting that the mechanic they told me is a ford mechanic probably didn't touch the vehicle at all :(. Not holding my breath on this working out but I'm already this far into it but at least I can just work on it when I have time and money to do so. Eventually I'll get it setup the way I want it for a daily driver, just gotta get the bugs worked out. Wish I would have waited and got one with a manual transmission LOL, far less to go wrong HAHA!!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Got it back home again this afternoon. There were a couple valves not working in the valve body in the transmission, they replaced them and also found a wiring connector not connected properly, they rewired it and took it out on a 30 mile freeway drive, all is well now.

So now I'm onto getting the little things done, and probably next year having the AC converted to the R134a.

They rewired the wipers so they work in low/high, just don't have the intermittent feature, no big deal there, all the lights work, the rear wiper doesn't and I'm thinking its a switch, wiring, or the motor itself is shot, not too worried about that. The rear defroster doesn't work either and the wires that stick to the window have been pulled off and I'm not sure how to fix that but not exactly worried about it, but if I could fix it easily I would do so.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to wire the wipers the same as your shop did because two mechanics had diagnosed the problem (only high worked) as a "wiper governor". Good luck finding one of those... When I started to pull the wires I saw how bad the insulation was and taped it all nice and the wipers worked again! Even the intermittent wipers.

The rear defroster, my grid is tor up too. I tried the 3M repair kit but I think there is just too much missing. Last year I searched and there is company that sells replacement grids and one place (LMC?) that sells a replacement glass with grid for big bucks.

No advice beyond what you plan for the rear wiper. Oh, take a pic of the wiper arm before you take it off, it goes on kind of funky. Mine wasn't connected when I got the BII and it took me a few tries to get it on their properly.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I was going to wire the wipers the same as your shop did because two mechanics had diagnosed the problem (only high worked) as a "wiper governor". Good luck finding one of those... When I started to pull the wires I saw how bad the insulation was and taped it all nice and the wipers worked again! Even the intermittent wipers.

The rear defroster, my grid is tor up too. I tried the 3M repair kit but I think there is just too much missing. Last year I searched and there is company that sells replacement grids and one place (LMC?) that sells a replacement glass with grid for big bucks.

No advice beyond what you plan for the rear wiper. Oh, take a pic of the wiper arm before you take it off, it goes on kind of funky. Mine wasn't connected when I got the BII and it took me a few tries to get it on their properly.
Thanks, I'll be sure to take pictures of how stuff goes together. I do that all the time at work for appliance repairs to make sure wiring goes back in the right places on control boards if they aren't marked or if the connectors are all the same.

Exactly the issue that the shop ran into, in my case the wiper governor is actually toast, and I don't even know where its at or what one looks like to go find one somewhere in a scrap yard...as long as they work on low/high I don't mind at all, my 84 Ranger and 84 B2 didn't have the intermittent option so nothing I'm not already used to anyways.

I'm also trying to figure out how to install a temperature gauge for the transmission, I'm sure it can be done but I've never done it before.

I'm going to hook up a 3 gauge setup like I had in my 84 B2 which gives actual coolant temp, oil pressure, and voltage, I hate the idiot gauges in the dash, they're useless until something catastrophic happens and by then its too late.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I'll be sure to take pictures of how stuff goes together. I do that all the time at work for appliance repairs to make sure wiring goes back in the right places on control boards if they aren't marked or if the connectors are all the same.

Exactly the issue that the shop ran into, in my case the wiper governor is actually toast, and I don't even know where its at or what one looks like to go find one somewhere in a scrap yard...as long as they work on low/high I don't mind at all, my 84 Ranger and 84 B2 didn't have the intermittent option so nothing I'm not already used to anyways.

I'm also trying to figure out how to install a temperature gauge for the transmission, I'm sure it can be done but I've never done it before.

I'm going to hook up a 3 gauge setup like I had in my 84 B2 which gives actual coolant temp, oil pressure, and voltage, I hate the idiot gauges in the dash, they're useless until something catastrophic happens and by then its too late.
The wiper governor is near the column under the dash on the radio side. It's 2"x2" in size and is held on by two screws. Getting your head and arms under the dash is the hard part. I spent a lot time digging into this and I think there is a "family" of ford part numbers that have the same governor with the difference being the harness length and/or connectors. only the alpha code at the end of the pn# is different. I bought one and was going to try to splice the BII harness onto it but taping up the harness took care of it.

I see that there are inline sensors that go on the fluid lines and sensors that can go into the pan and some that use the drain plug. There are also sensors that go into a "test port" on the trans, I don't if that is on the BII trans. The inline looks easiest, esp if you are adding a cooler.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The wiper governor is near the column under the dash on the radio side. It's 2"x2" in size and is held on by two screws. Getting your head and arms under the dash is the hard part. I spent a lot time digging into this and I think there is a "family" of ford part numbers that have the same governor with the difference being the harness length and/or connectors. only the alpha code at the end of the pn# is different. I bought one and was going to try to splice the BII harness onto it but taping up the harness took care of it.

I see that there are inline sensors that go on the fluid lines and sensors that can go into the pan and some that use the drain plug. There are also sensors that go into a "test port" on the trans, I don't if that is on the BII trans. The inline looks easiest, esp if you are adding a cooler.
Thanks, I'll look around and see what I can find on those governors eventually.

As for the transmission temp sensor, I'll look into the inline one as I have a cooler installed. I assume I'd connect as close to the transmission as possible for a more accurate reading.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I'll look around and see what I can find on those governors eventually.

As for the transmission temp sensor, I'll look into the inline one as I have a cooler installed. I assume I'd connect as close to the transmission as possible for a more accurate reading.
I was thinking you'd install it into the aux cooler hose. But yeah the output line from the trans would be better as you'll see the temp coming from the trans vs going to the trans. I don't think you'll see a significant temp drop from the trans to radiator and for ease of install and possible repair I'd put it near the radiator.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I was thinking you'd install it into the aux cooler hose. But yeah the output line from the trans would be better as you'll see the temp coming from the trans vs going to the trans. I don't think you'll see a significant temp drop from the trans to radiator and for ease of install and possible repair I'd put it near the radiator.
Thank you, I'll look around for a kit and see what I can come up with. I'd like to have actual gauges so I'll do a 3 gauge setup for oil pressure, coolant temperature, voltage, plus the transmission temp gauge.

Taking it down tomorrow to have the alignment done, then I'll start driving it more. Seems to run pretty good now as it is, I'll wait till next weekend and do the fluid changes in it and I think it will be good to go for a while on that type of stuff. Going to start looking for replacement front seats, the driver's seat is annoying, the thing doesn't adjust properly and the right side of the driver's seat feels like its broken, it doesn't seem to be even with the left of the seat, so something in that side must be broken.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Picked up a console from a 94 explorer this morning along with the OEM jack handle, dome light lens rear cargo light assembly, the cover that goes over the throttle cable assembly on the throttle body all for $26.

The console is a bit dirty but otherwise in excellent condition, wish I had the money I would have grabbed the seats too.

Before:

After:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
just thinking about the rear defroster issues you mentioned. my BII didn't have one at all so I measured up the window and bought an after market kit, maybe this link will help you out some.
http://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-about.htm
I found a repair kit on ebay for mine, going to try that first, if that don't work I'll order one of the aftermarket kits from the link you posted. Thanks.

Here's a link to the repair kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162153821198?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals