• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Start with a Mazda 2.5 L or Duratec for Custom Build Need Advise Please

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
I tried to find a thread where this might have been discussed but could not find one, hope I am not being redundant here.

I am starting a xustom build in a 58 Bugeye. I have the car, a 89-92ish T-5 5 speed already and what I would like to do is put a 2.5ltr I4cyl in my car. I read the Mazda L has a forged crank and rods and the Ford badged 2.3/2.5 does not. So my question is, can I start with a 2.5 from a Mazda 6 and can I put my T5 behind it somehow? Do I need a Ranger 5 speed specifically and are the bellhousing patterns the same between Mazda and Ford etc, etc. Anybody see this done or do it themselves? I want to end up with a rock solid NA 250-300hp roadster with a 5 speed manual if possible. Any help is very much appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The Duratec engines (2.0, 2.3, and 2.5), Ford or Mazda, should all have the same bell pattern. I think the Fiesta 1.8 is somewhat different, but that engine is quite different, and not really part of our equation here.

I don't know specifically about the Maza L engines having forged internals or the Ford badged ones not, but I think all the GDI ones do, because they were set up to be turbo'd. But the only common GDI Duratec is the 2.0.

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
@adsm08 Thanks for the reply.
Pardon my ignorance but what is GDI? To be honest a lot of thus project is going to out of my wheel house.
I have a line on a Mazda 2.5 L engine from a local wrecker and I'll be checking it out tomorrow. Thwy also have a couple Fusion 2.5's as well. They are all priced around 800$ with manifolds, ecu and harness. It's good to know the bell patterns are all the same. Can you or anybody else tell me what my tranny options are for RWD? Is there a factory bell housing that will work for my T5 or do I just need to go with a whole new tranny/bell alltogether?
REALLY APPRICAITE your time!!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
GDI: Gas Direct Injection.

The only RWD trans I know of is the M5OD. There may be a T5 variant that fits it but I really don't know, since everything I can think of that those were in from the factory, except the Rangers, was FWD.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost transmission should fit right? Also, MX5 transmission?

Quads4Rods makes a bell housing for the duratec - T5 swap

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I have some pics of the engine during disassembly, go down a page.

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
@adsm08 @pjtoledo

So with your experiance, if you were doing a project like this would you go with a Duratec or a Lima? I have had this car for at least a year and I just can't decide. I've had a SHO V6 sitting here just as long, but have since given up on that idea as it is just to big and I don't want to sit in the trunk. So many things to factor in, like, weight, power, ease of swap, cost, cool factor, bla, bla, bla.
Either way it needs to get done so I am giving myself a week to decide, buy the engine and get to work. Both are plentiful in my area and I am capable of completing either swap. SO PLEASE, lay it on me, what do you guys in all your knowledge suggest? Duratec or Lima for a NA 250-300hp track day car/weekend fun machine?
Thanks again.

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
Is 300HP from a NA Lima out of the question? I have read it's pretty easy from a Duratec but not sure how factual that is in the real world.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
At what RPM are you looking to get 300hp? You'll need to flow ~550 cubic feet per minute to get around 300hp.

I would start by looking at flow numbers for the various heads available. The Duratec in it's stock form is going to flow more air than the Lima, but you could always use the Volvo head or something.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If 300 HP is your goal I would totally go Duratec. Especially if there is Duratech t-5 bell housing out there. The ecoboost 2.3s are supposed to be pushing 300 HP stock. The Lima 23 in stock form only made 100 new. To triple original output is no mean feat without boost.

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
@adsm08 @pjtoledo

Ok, Duratec it is then. Is there any year and model that is better then the others that I should look for? I think I will try to find a 2.5 if I can get it for the same price as a 2.3. As far as bell housings go, I know Quads4Rods had one for a T5 but everytime I try to go to there website it says error or something like they are no longer in buisness maybe? I know they are out there and I can always use a Mazda if I had to I think. I'll start a vuild thread soon.
Any advice you have to offer or any current threads you think might help me in this endevor by all means please feel free to chime in! Lol! Thank you very much for your help already.

@pjtoledo I think the 2.3/2.5 Duratec bottom end is good for what 8k rpm? I'm pretty handy with porting and polishing heads as well.

I think my biggest problem with getting the power I'm looking for would be I have no idea if anybody makes aftermarket hot rod parts for a Duratec or where to get them?

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I'd try to find a 2.5 It has the highest base HP of any of them around 170, but the redline is at 6K.

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
@adsm08
Is that 6k rpm a computer limited thing or is that more of a rods start flying at that rpm thing? I understand stock cams probably don't make power past 6k anyway but with aftermarket cams and computer surely they can spin up and make power higher then that right?
I have seen the 30k$ Esslinger and Mountune engines, but isn't there something a little less spendy a guy can do for a little more power without boosting?
I'm just a little lost with these engines. Everything I have done before was older caburated hot rods with the exception of some Fox body Mustang stuff. There's no Summit Racing catalog for Duratec parts is there? Lol!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm still in the learning stage on this swap.

However, that Yamaha V6 you mentioned has piqued my interest.
where do you live?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I think I'd try to find a 2.5 It has the highest base HP of any of them around 170, but the redline is at 6K.

that "might" be related to that 19 lb balancer assembly that runs off a huge gear on the crankshaft.

just guess'in

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals