• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

chevy silverado 4 whizzer....been planning ecoboost...

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think that having that engine with a manual transmission would almost render it unusable actually. If it's developing some 350lb ft at 1,500 RPM that's some serious push. If you were on the throttle and were a little too aggressive on the clutch engagement I can see that grenading stuff quick. With an auto, particularly a fancy 8 speed, is going to have a much more difficult time lugging that engine.

I'd also go so far as to say that they've probably done some trick gearing in that trans and maybe in combination with some boost control in lower gears so that when starting, it may not reach full power/boost, but compensates for it with lower early gears.

I'm pretty convinced it'll get the job done surprisingly well.

I've towed tons of stuff with my little 4 cylinder Ranger. It hasn't necessarily been quick about it at times, but it's pulled it and hit highway speeds, even if only 60. My point is, you don't need enough horsepower and torque to pull thousands of pounds up hills and steep grades at 70 and hardly notice it, or be able to accelerate like it's not even there. I've also heard from some of the RV guys that these big diesel trucks will blow a tire on the trailer and be driving along for quite some time (usually until someone starts honking), because they make so much power they didn't notice the tire blown. You'd think they see it in the mirror but let's be honest about todays drivers...

Side note, I didn't see the Buick Grand National mentioned above. That had a "tiny" turbo engine and that thing was quick. If fact, out of the factory it was actually faster than the Corvette. Of course GM kept heir lips tightly sealed on that because they can't have their flagship/iconic performance vehicle be slower than some sedan.

*edit: Corvairs are unsafe at any speed, so if you're not moving, you're good.
Audi has manual transmissions with turbo 4 cylinder engine making plenty of power at very low rpm's. And the several US V8 performance cars with manuals deal with way more power..With electronic engine management I just don't see it as a problem...But there won't be manuals because the demand is too low....

The book "Unsafe at any Speed" was about the US auto industry lack of safety ...Corvair was one chapter in the book written by a man who new zero about automobiles...In the 1970's the Corvair was proven not to be as nasty handling as Nader claimed.. Just like the Pinto fires... The Pinto had no higher rate of fires than other similar cars... It was a few tragic accidents and a Ford memo that implied they would rather pay the settlements than fix the problem. Remember how NBC tries to sensationalize the Square Body GM truck fires? They couldn't get it to catch fire so they rigged it with explosives and got caught doing it..At the same time Japanese small cars were even more unsafe , and the VW Beetle....But you heard nothing about them....
OK, I'm done...:icon_twisted:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Seems some sarcasm was lost in translation.

Though I still think that 350+ LB ft from a 4 cylinder at low RPM is a pretty big push. I'm highly suspect of a European car making that much torque at that low RPM, and even if it did, it's no fullsize pickup, which has the traction and weight to stop that engine in it's tracks, versus just spinning a tire. It's more a concern for the amount of torque, spread across only 4 cylinders. A torque converter and automatic is going to be MUCH more friendly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Four cylinder could have bigger and beefier parts than a V6 of the same displacement... and has had pretty much no issue at the same power level.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Reading the fine print: GMC only intends the 4 banger with wheezer to go into their base full size trucks.

So this 2.7 I-4 turbo is intended to go against Fords 3.3 V6. And the base trucks have a Ranger-esque 5-7k lbs towing limit. I see that as a win for Chevy - 348ftlbs@1,500rpm blows doors off 265ftlbs@4,500rpm, and the I-4 gets better fuel economy in the CAFE fuel test. I wonder how long until we see the 2.3 EcoBoost in the F-150.

I have a soft spot for the Ram eTorque - extra 130ftlbs available right off idle out of 100 lb package.

With eTorque, I would be fine with 1.5l I-3 Ecoboost (Fiesta ST motor) in Ranger. Better off line performance during my city driving, loads better fuel economy in winter. Probably does better on CAFE. Adequate for hauling/towing I do (Adventurer 76 in bed, Seadoo Sportster on trailer); it won't slow any worse than the 4.0 OHV in my '98.

I recognize there is some complexity in a turbocharged, electric assisted power plant, but as tech weenie, I'll put up with those for the benefits.

Original Corvair station wagons were prone to oversteer especially when you inflate front tires to same levels as rear, which makes them unsafe. Later models which had the rear swing axle replaced and sway bar installed had no issues. But damage was done.

Like the Pinto, just a few $$ worth of parts would have saved millions

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Low mileage as in under 50k, these are probably all or mostly all in-warranty repairs but perhaps it'll be the next A4LD - time will tell. I talked to a guy who had three transmission failures in a 2014 F150, under 50k, all covered under warranty. Not towing excessive loads or other abuse, just flat out failure. From my conversations with a Ford technician buddy, it's a common occurrence.
Its been awhile, I forgot shortly after he got his truck he did have to work on the transmission. I think it was related to this. Nothing major though.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/14-0134.pdf

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Are we having this discussion simply to discuss a potential new truck or is it geared more towards using that vehicle's drivetrain for engine swaps?

I am not totally opposed to a 4 cylinder full size but here's the deal: it MUST perform as well or better than it would with a V6 or V8. It needs to make power in exactly the same way that a bigger engine would, and it needs to be reliable. The last thing I want is a truck that loses its nuts when I put a load of gravel in it, or hook up a reasonably sized trailer. It also needs to be economical - if I'm getting 8mpg with that 4 cylinder towing a trailer and worrying about half ton size drivetrain parts, there is no benefit vs the V10 truck I have now.

If this is more of an engine swap debate - I hope if this comes to fruition, it has a SBC bellhousing pattern. THAT would be cool. LS swaps are so popular because they're easy and the physical package is fairly small - done right this has the potential to be the same thing.

both....

the new rangers eliminated 2 years worth of learning how to make longitudinal 4x4 setups out of transverse edge engines... it pisses me off on one hand, but opens the market costs on the other. very little free time and i been out of state and unable to invest time.

will people buy a fullsize with a 4 whizzer.?.?

i hope so. i want that powerplant!

I have a Ranger but other than that I'm a Chevy guy pretty much...When the F150 V-6 turbo came out all the Chevy guys said the same thing you're saying...Like it's it some buzzy little engine and not a throbbing V8...And it won't do the job............
GM has a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory but they do have a history of gas engine turbo superchargers going back to WW2 Allison V12 aircraft engines, 60's Corvairs and the 215 cube Olds engine and the late turbo Colbalt...So in theory they should know how make it all work.....I think a big plus would be offering a 6 speed manual transmission with the turbo four...But that unlikely in today one footed driver's market..

i never theought the 3.5 cyclone would be buzzy, and knew it was more then capable of embarassing a 4.6 in n/a form...

but a four cyclinder is buzzy once there is wear. counter shaft or not.

Reading the fine print: GMC only intends the 4 banger with wheezer to go into their base full size trucks.

So this 2.7 I-4 turbo is intended to go against Fords 3.3 V6. And the base trucks have a Ranger-esque 5-7k lbs towing limit. I see that as a win for Chevy - 348ftlbs@1,500rpm blows doors off 265ftlbs@4,500rpm, and the I-4 gets better fuel economy in the CAFE fuel test. I wonder how long until we see the 2.3 EcoBoost in the F-150.

I have a soft spot for the Ram eTorque - extra 130ftlbs available right off idle out of 100 lb package.

With eTorque, I would be fine with 1.5l I-3 Ecoboost (Fiesta ST motor) in Ranger. Better off line performance during my city driving, loads better fuel economy in winter. Probably does better on CAFE. Adequate for hauling/towing I do (Adventurer 76 in bed, Seadoo Sportster on trailer); it won't slow any worse than the 4.0 OHV in my '98.

I recognize there is some complexity in a turbocharged, electric assisted power plant, but as tech weenie, I'll put up with those for the benefits.

Original Corvair station wagons were prone to oversteer especially when you inflate front tires to same levels as rear, which makes them unsafe. Later models which had the rear swing axle replaced and sway bar installed had no issues. But damage was done.

Like the Pinto, just a few $$ worth of parts would have saved millions

not sure where you saw that, my understanding is that this 4 whizzer is an upgrade aimed at mid market and wont be available in the bare bones stripper fleet trucks.

they all have hub motor setups in testing....and i am impressed.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You must be thinking of Pintos... :thefinger:
Weren't the Corvairs the rear-engine cars that had exhaust flow issues and would flood the passenger cabin with exhaust gas if you got stuck at a stop?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I retract my comment on the I-4 being for the base engine as the site which announced it has done so as well (they also removed their implication that Ram truck was under 2k lbs weight).

I would sooner have Ram's eTorque than hub motors as I think they would be easier to retrofit.

If it gets 30mpg empty/same as current when towing, that's a win for me as I only tow about 15% on km on my truck...

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Weren't the Corvairs the rear-engine cars that had exhaust flow issues and would flood the passenger cabin with exhaust gas if you got stuck at a stop?
It may have happened.. Corvairs have cast iron exhaust manifolds with pipes and muffler like a typical system. There is sheet metal shrouding around the manifolds to direct heat through ducts to car interior..It's possible for the exhaust to leak into the heating...But more likely was a burnt oil small from leaking pushrod tubes.. In general the Corvair suffered from the GM thinking then and now....Great ideas and innovate engineering diluted by corporate money men ...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals