• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best tranny for 2wd 2.5 Duratec raod racer?

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
So if I was building a 2wd Ranger for road racing and mounts were not an issue, I can fab new mounts, and I wanted to use my 2.5 Duratec 4cyl from a 2009 Fusion, what tranny's can I use? Is the M5OD amy good for this? I believe that tranny has the correct bell housing? I have heard ,but not confirmed the Miatas have the same bell housings? I cannot find any current adapters on the market for the Fox body T5 I have. I would love to find a newer Mustang tranny if it bolts up but they are pricey so far. Any suggestions? Thank you.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
M5OD would work fine for this, though the gearing may not be ideal depending on how you will be using it.

The 2.5 shares the same duratec/mazda mzr belhousing bolt pattern so your options are M5OD, Miata, and 2.3 Mustang.

Quads4Rods makes an adapter for a T5 though I am not sure if they are in business.

You could also make your own adapter plate like this and run whatever trans you want.

'rangergt' over on http://www.turborangerforums.com has done this.

Last edited:

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
@Black Bill
Thank you. I have a M5OD that a yard will trad for my T5, neither are ideal gearing for what I'm using this for. My only concern is the shifting of the M5OD, I had one in an 01(?)Edge I think and it seemed to be fine but it was a long time ago. I seem to remember it shifting smooth, but I never really tried to shift it fast. Maybe you can enlighten me? Have you evwr seen an aftermarket short throw shifter?
I'll probably just go this route and keep it simple.

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
Anybody else having a hard time logging onto quad4rod website? I think they may be out of business. That would be a shame.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
quicktime has em too.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hurst makes a quick throw shifter for the m5od. I paid $100.00 for mine used. Last time I checked they were north of $200.00 for new. My m5od grinds when I shift hard for the 200ft sand drags, 1st to 2nd. But it has over 200,000 km on it and is stock other than shifter. For the short course off-road stuff it's fine.

Last edited:

Cursed Iron Fist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Austin Healey B
Transmission
Manual
Ok. I got the M5OD. And now I am in the process of getting an Infinity G35 rear diff. They have IRS and are pretty strong with the R200 diff that is popular with the JDM rwd crowd. Wish me luck fellas!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals