Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08
Default Sony WX GT90BT Bluetooth head unit

For those who have looked at my build threads it is no secret that I am partial to Sony radios. Anyway, we sold out 2010 Escape, bought an 05 Explorer, and I was looking for something that would replace at least some of the functions of the Sync system that was in the Escape.

So I looked around the internet and found the Sony WX GT90BT. It's spec sheet says it supports Bluetooth audio streaming, phone calls, and it has the auxiliary input, USB input, and the standard RCA amp jacks in the back.

It is a double DIN radio, so it fits pretty much every Ranger from 93 up, and every Explorer from 95 up. It installs easily with wire adapter and install cage, same as every other radio I have ever put in. The only problem I ran into was having the cut quite a bit out of the side panels of the cage to get the radio centered up, but I think that is a vehicle design issue, not a radio issue.

The Bluetooth phone function does require an external microphone, that comes in the kit with the radio, and running the wire for the mic was the worst part of the job. I wanted the wire run where it wouldn't be seen.

Once the radio was installed I only had a chance to play with it briefly, but so far I like it better than a factory Sync system. Streaming audio from my phone was easier, pairing was easier, and call quality was identical. I did initiate the call from my phone, and I haven't played with it enough to know if there are any voice command functions for starting a call.

Overall, I am very impressed. For all you guys with late model Rangers who were all sore about the last year not getting Sync, go get this radio and do what Ford should have.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
clflorida

clflorida is on a distinguished road

93 and 94 can have double din radios? I thought only the new dashs in 95+ could have them?
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember. I thought I saw a thread somewhere someone had a single DIN with a storage bin that double-DIN delete kits have in a 94, but I could be wrong about the years. It's late and I haven't slept well in over a week.

Quote:
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
veefer800canuck

Vehicle Year: 2011
Vehicle Make: Ranger FX4
I use this vehicle for: everything
veefer800canuck has a spectacular aura aboutveefer800canuck has a spectacular aura aboutveefer800canuck has a spectacular aura about

I ran the wire for the external mic under/through the dash, below the instruments, above the pedals behind that lower trim panel, and up the left side of the truck, under the plastic cover and the Oh Shit handle inside the A pillar so I could clip the mic to the driver's sun visor.

Worked great.

I used a single DIN head unit and adaptor with the little crap holder tray under the radio.

Last edited by veefer800canuck; 07-29-2014 at 12:53 AM.
veefer800canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

I routed the wire similarly, through the dash, across the knee bolster, up the LH a-pillar, and out across the top of the windshield, tucked behind the headliner, and then tucked into the over head console and stuck to it with tape. I will probably take the console out one notch it for the wire here soon so the wire isn't getting pinched.

It was only hard because I was working in the dark trying to use my phone as a flash light.

Quote: