• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd issues in 86 B2

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 B2 and a few days ago I was trying out the 4wd just playing around on the railroad tracks and I had a few issues. When I was on flat land the 4wd worked fine but when i started climbing the rocks up to the tracks my issues began. I had it in 4H and in first gear as I was on the incline and I let the clutch completely out and I went no where. The truck didnt stall and I wasn't paying attention and as I kept the motor rev up for several minutes it begin to run hot and started smoking with a buring smell. Then after it started smoking it all of sudden took off and off i went. I let the truck rest a while and started it back up and tried the 4wd and it worked fine on flat land. I think I am low and fluid and thats why on inclines it acts up. Any suggestions? Also I need to replace the fluid in the front and rear end any advice on what kind of fluid to use and exacly how to replace the fluid :dunno: this is my first older model truck and my first 4wd. I have never had to worry about the fluids like this before. Thanks for the help!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
80-90 diff fluid

the rear axle has a fill plug on the front of it, above the pinion on the driver side..just look for a square hole that a 3/8s extension will fit in, take that out... fill it up to that hole with fluid.

the front axle has a fill plug on the front of the diff

if you have limited slip in either axle, you need to add some LSD additive to it (maybe). if you don't know if you have limited slip or not, look in the tech library for how to read the data tags on the rear diff or the door sticker axle codes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Does it do the same thing in 2wd?

It actually sounds to me like the clutch is slipping when you load it up on a steep incline.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No it rides fine in 2wd itll just spin the tires on an incline. I gonna try the fluid replacement and get everything cleaned up and topped off and see if that helps but this truck has been fighting me since day on so im sure itll be something else.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals