• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shift Lever Bushing - Broken, Please Help !

bronco4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
84 Bronco II 5speed

Shift lever spins 360 degrees freely and lifts from lever socket freely. Open up the case and found this bushing sitting in the transmission. I fished it out, looks broken in half, but really I don't know if there was more to this part to begin with.

So....what is it? Where can I buy one? And is there more missing here? Pictures attached.

I don't even know how it's supposed to line up and work, since I don't have a correctly assembled shift lever assembly to go by, and no junkyards around here.

The only thing I could find as a replacement, was a $207 complete shifter assembly on ebay. The auto parts store had no idea, and every ford parts website I found has no matching part, even rockauto couldn't help me.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That piece should go in the top of the shifter housing (see the crosshatched section on the shift lever? That's where that piece normally goes. The dome shaped side rides inside the round bushing that's on the shift lever now.)

I'd seriously be tempted to JB-weld it back together and see how long it lasts. Otherwise you probably need to find another shifter housing from a junkyard or the one on eBay...unfortunately.

bronco4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That piece should go in the top of the shifter housing (see the crosshatched section on the shift lever? That's where that piece normally goes. The dome shaped side rides inside the round bushing that's on the shift lever now.)

I'd seriously be tempted to JB-weld it back together and see how long it lasts. Otherwise you probably need to find another shifter housing from a junkyard or the one on eBay...unfortunately.
First thing I did when I got back from the parts store was JB Weld it. Got the clamp on it now, I'll give it 24 hours and see how she goes. Would be nice to be able to shift again, lol.

Was wondering if that's the whole thing? it just pops up into the top of that housing and the shifter slides right into it? Doesn't seem like it would stay real well or hold the shifter in place, but i guess that's what the textured portions on each piece are for.

When it breaks again, I'll start hunting down some of those 5spd transmissions for a part. From the cracks and chips, it looks like this little plastic part takes a ton of abuse. It might be worth it to have a metal one fabbed. :)

I bet if I used some of that Heavy Duty Fuel Tank Epoxy, the plastic would break long before the epoxy would seperate, I just used some of that on a motorcycle tank, and I'll tell ya it's worth every penny of the $15 I spent for one use.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals