• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 4.0 ohv oil pump bad, Help

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I sold all my other vehicles and made some nice $$$ I went out and bought myself a new project to turn into a dd. a 2000 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 ohv motor. I knew full well when I bought it the oil pump was going bad, What I didn't know was that according to ford there isn't a way to pull the pan without yanking the whole motor out first. So my first question is anybody have any ideas on how to pull the pan without having to take the motor out. Second in the event that I end up having to pull the motor any tips on the best way to wrestle it out from under the hood, and best mount points for the cherry picker on this block. I'd also like to hear what you guys think about the chances of it not needing a rebuild. I have this gut feeling from talking to the lady that she drove it home after "it just started making that bad noise" rather than having it towed. Thinking about going to the jy and paying the $150 to pull a motor but I'm 50/50 on it because that's money I could use on other stuff. :icon_confused:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Engine does not have to come out. Removal of the oil pan is an in vehicle repair in the shop manual. This is the procedure for removal of the oil pan, after than replacing the oil pump is pretty straight forward.

Oil Pan

Removal
On All Vehicles

1. Check vehicle ride height. For additional information, refer to Section 204-05.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.

1. Drain the engine oil and reinstall the drain plug.

1. Remove both front torsion bars. For additional information, refer to Section 204-01A (Front Suspension—4x2) or Section 204-01B (Front Suspension—4x4).
For 4WD Vehicles

1. Disconnect the front driveshaft CV joint and position aside.

1. Disconnect the axle vent tube.

1. Support the axle with a suitable jack.

1. NOTE: Front driveshaft removed for clarity.
    Remove the left front axle-to-frame bolt.

Remove the two axle-to-frame bolts. Lower the axle to just rest on the lower control arms.

On All Vehicles

1. Remove the starter motor. For additional information, refer toSection 303-06.

1. Remove the bolts.

1. Remove the bolts and the nuts.

1. Remove the oil pan and the gasket.

Installation
On All Vehicles

1. Clean and inspect the sealing surfaces.

1. Apply a bead of silicone rubber in six places. Use Silicone Gasket and Sealant F7AZ-19554-EA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M4G323-A4.

1. NOTE: Use a straightedge to maintain the rear oil pan edge-to-rear cylinder block edge alignment.
    Position the gasket and the oil pan.

1. Install the bolts and nuts and tighten in the sequence shown.

1. Install the bolts.

1. Install the starter motor. For additional information, refer toSection 303-06.
For 4WD Vehicles

Raise the axle and install the two axle-to-frame bolts and nuts.

Install the left front axle-to-frame bolt and nut.

1. Remove the jack from the axle.

1. Connect the axle vent tube.

1. Connect the front driveshaft CV joint.

On All Vehicles

1. Install the front torsion bars. For additional information, refer to Section 204-01A (Front Suspension—4x2) or Section 204-01B (Front Suspension—4x4).

1. Lower the vehicle.

1. Fill the engine with Super Premium SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil X0-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G.

1. Check vehicle ride height. For additional information, refer to Section 204-05.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
yeah idk about that on but i tried pulling the oil pan on my 2.9 with the engine in and it was a nightmare i ended up putting it back on and pulling the engine
pulling isnt that bad just drop the trans crossmember and trans case for easy access to trans engine bolts
then remove trans the remove engine.
might not sound like the easyiest way but ive done it quite a few times and this way iis perfered by me.

as for the oil pumo itsself its pretty easy one the pan is off
but if its allready makin noise id say get a new engine
my new oil pump for 2.9l was 80$

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
His truck does not have the huge engine crossmember in the way like the older TTB trucks do....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals