• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brake light/rear antilock light on

mojocat27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a 87 bronco ii that I just rescently bought and the brake light and rear antilock idiot lights are on. Brakes work and she stops ok. Parking brake works. The fuel gauge also doesnt read. The temp gauge wasnt workin but got that fixed,,,,,needed a temp sending unit. Ideas of where to fix what next. I am leaning toward fuel sending unit to see if that fixes gas guage not reading...already changed fuel filter. I think I wil have the fuel pump in tank changed also as i am having fuel issues, maybee other fuel pump too. After I have been up to speed for awhile she will slow down to like 45 and go no faster. Pulled over got her back on road and was fine. Going up hills she likes to bog down also.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My rear antilock light comes on whenever the brake fluid is low, even though the brakes feel ok.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
same with mine and if my e-brake is not up all the way it triggers the sensor and turns the light on

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yup, check the brake fluid level

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I checked this today, and my reservoir is full and my rear anti lock brakes light is still on and it only comes on a few minutes after I've been driving it. Any ideas?

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Got the same problem with mine. Been doing some research and found many Broncos have the sames problem. It also seems to go across the board with Ford vehicles. some people claim to have fixed it while some are stumped.

Here are some links I've found on the subject, maybe it'll help, maybe not. If it does, report back the findings. This is a common problem and a good fix would make a perfect sticky for the site, if one doesn't already exist for this.....

http://broncozone.com/topic/16416-rear-antilock-light/

http://www.broncoii4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2037

http://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-ranger-16/abs-light-4752/

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/f197/abs-problems-88-bronco-2-a-118232.html

I think there is a problem with this site because when I do an advance search for rear antilock brake light it doesn't come back with anything, just says done.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I checked this today, and my reservoir is full and my rear anti lock brakes light is still on and it only comes on a few minutes after I've been driving it. Any ideas?
I have this same sort of problem. My ebrake and RABS lights turn on randomly and dont seem to go away until I let the truck sit for a while.

I've read something about a proportioning valve that can get out of whack when replacing brake lines or something like that...Anyone know where it is, and how to adjust it?

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have this same sort of problem. My ebrake and RABS lights turn on randomly and dont seem to go away until I let the truck sit for a while.

I've read something about a proportioning valve that can get out of whack when replacing brake lines or something like that...Anyone know where it is, and how to adjust it?
Lemme look at my haynes/chiltons manual. Lemme get back to you.

EDIT: It says the antilock brake system valve is mounted on the rear frame rail.

Attachments

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lemme look at my haynes/chiltons manual. Lemme get back to you.
Frame rail under the driver's seat, is what I got from one of those links posted by Charles... I still dont know what it looks like, so any info (or a picture) on that would be awesome.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just posted some attachments on my last post. If it doesn't help then I can go and try to find mine on my B2. Lemme know

lneidlinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have this same problem with my 91 ranger. There is a 3 wire cable that runs from the rear end that has a common ground, the wire for the RABS sensor and the wire for the parking brake sensor. Mine got burned off so it's disconnected and I can live without RABS for now. On my 2WD ranger it connects under the front of the cab just to the right of the driver. Yours could be going bad, or is disconnected too. I'll try to take pictures later today.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

You can try bleeding the master cylinder have someone press down on the brakes as you loosen the fittings one at a time. crack one and have someone keep pressure on the pedal as you bleed it off. close it before they let off the pedal. Bleed one then the other until the light goes out and quickly close the fitting. Pump it up and see if it stays off I never done the ABS but turn the key on and dont start it just bleed off the master to center the piston for the warning switch block. I would pull the rear drums and check the brakes and for leaks.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gonna try replacing the sensor and if not then I'll go from there.

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had the Rabs light on after motor had been out for rebuild. I had also rebuilt rear axle at same time. I lived with light on for awhile then just pulled the bulb.
One day while I was under the hood I noticed a wire connection hanging loose and found that it plugged in under master cylinder facing engine. DUHHH
Now the back end doesn't try to pass the front end when I brake. Next time I have the dash open, I'll put the bulb back in.
My signature fits, again.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have this same problem with my 91 ranger. There is a 3 wire cable that runs from the rear end that has a common ground, the wire for the RABS sensor and the wire for the parking brake sensor. Mine got burned off so it's disconnected and I can live without RABS for now. On my 2WD ranger it connects under the front of the cab just to the right of the driver. Yours could be going bad, or is disconnected too. I'll try to take pictures later today.
Ever take the pic?

Changed out the sensor and no bueno. So I'm not sure what to check next.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals