• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Galvanic reaction!

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have my trucks wired up front and rear so I can use a winch on either end via a winch cradle. I used large red Anderson connectors as shown in this pic. Today on the rear of my Ram I noticed the plastic connector cracked open. I opened it up and it fell apart in my hand. The "power" end that was in this connector was rotted back over an inch, it was gone! Rotted away! This connector has only been there for one year and was coated in dielectric grease and I zip tied the rubber cover over it to keep out dirt/water. The ground wire is fine and is mounted to the frame. What am I doing wrong? The front connector on the front of the truck is like new.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know but now I have to go check my truck.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
If you drive a lot where the roads are salted, your could have salt fog chamber environment at the rear of your vehicle. It will creep into every crevice it can find. This is very bad on materials that corrode. This can even create a surface conductivity that can flow a few electrons in your connector. I think this could accelerate the corrosion. That is all I have as a potential cause of the problem.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the wires hooked directly to the battery. I wonder is a cut off switch would help?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It could. That would move electricity out of the equation. A strong enough switch to carry this amps will cost tho, I paid about $C50 for the one in my race truck. You may be able to use a fender solenoid/relay but I don't know if they can carry the continuous current draw of a winch.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've never been off road, officially, but I can see a problem with this setup that would inspire me to buy a second winch.

After blowing a tire in the middle of a junkyard mud hole I realized that if I had to do any kind of hookup or mucking around in the mud hole I would want it to be as minimal as possible.

I would also recommend the disconnect at the battery in that case then you would only need to hook it up before wheeling so that it would be instantly ready when needed.

To have to muck about with putting a winch on while in a mud hole would be a possible source of major aggravation...what with knowing how prone I am to dropping tools, nuts, bolts, and even parts in the process...I would want all of that in place instead of having to swap it out...

Just saying...I know these things are not inexpensive and all that...but just sitting here thinking about it gave me shudders of "what ifs" to the point of forcing my fingers to attack my keyboard...this too, shall pass...as they say.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The winch set up front and rear is only to get me out of a bad spot. Sometimes U cannot pull yourself forward. I do not want a winch on the front or rear full time do to the added bulk and corrosion, mud, salt etc. I also have a plow set up for the front so it is a no go without serious fab work. I am always working alone out in rural BFE without cell service so the winch is added security. The winch and homemade cradle are quite heavy but I can handle it fine, beats the chit out of the come along I used to carry (which I bent/broke a few over the yrs). Getting older I guess. Gonna have to look at the cut off switch for the battery :icon_thumby:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, that does make more sense now...thanks for the clarification.

I was thinking along the lines of someone who goes off road as a recreational thing...not something out of necessity every day due to work or whatever. In that case, if it is planned outing then having the dual winch setup would maybe work out...

I've never actually wanted a winch on my truck because it would tempt me to go places where I would most likely need it...as in 'hold my beer while I try something"...:)

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the beer would be used after I got un-stuck and off to the next job site...late I am sure :beer:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
This is exactly what I've been wanting to do. How's it work for you?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is exactly what I've been wanting to do. How's it work for you?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
The beer is always good and welcome...oh U mean the winch set up right :icon_confused: Haven't used the winch on either truck when out and about but have used it to pull out my old F150 wood truck buried in the mud!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals