• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which U-joint to get

bryanb

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im thinking of pulling the driveshaft, and putting on new Universal joints. Went to Rockauto.com, and looked around.

I can't tell which ones I need. So far, I _think_ I need:

Moog 255
Greasable Super Strength One of our most popular parts
At Rear Axle; RWD; Standard Cab Pickup; Using U-Bolts

and 280
At Transmission; RWD; Standard Cab Pickup; w/1-1/16" O.D. Bearings
At Transmission; RWD; Extended Cab Pickup; w/3-1/2" O.D. Yoke; w/1-1/16" O.D. Bearings
Rear Driveshaft - CV at Transmission; 4WD; 108.0' wheelbase
Rear Driveshaft at Rear Axle; 4WD; 108.0' wheelbase
Front Driveshaft at Transfer Case; 4WD; w/3-1/2" O.D. Yoke
Front Driveshaft at Front Axle; 4WD; w/3-1/2" O.D. Yoke

I have a '89 ranger, with the 2.3L, and automatice 4-speed, the A4LD. Regular cab, long bed.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's looks like you found the correct u-joints. Are you saving a lot of money by using RockAuto ? If you buy them at your local auto parts store it would probably be easier for you to exchange if you do get the wrong part at your local auto parts store.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Moog 255
At Rear Axle; RWD; Standard Cab Pickup; Using U-Bolts

and 280
At Transmission; RWD; Standard Cab Pickup; w/1-1/16" O.D. Bearings

Seems as these fit your model description. You can check the OD of the bearing cap in the yoke using a tape measure. The reasons to replace u-joints are 1)they allow the driveshaft to wobble and 2) they squeak, prior to #1 happening. I have pulled powdered needles & rust out of some in the past.
They are(were) not real expensive, so I'd also suggest checking local parts stores as shipping for a couple u-joints will be a large part of their cost.
From memory, you'll need a large, no LARGE hammer, some large(1-1/16+) diameter sockets, and a big C-clamp unless you have access to a press. If you get greaseable, make sure the zerk fitting is accessible with the joint in place. If you install it facing 'backwards' to normal, it may be hidden behind the ears of the yoke or driveshaft. And, keep the 'clocking' of the yoke to the driveshaft or you may install an imbalance(not likely, but why not keep them in their old place so you don't introduce any more variables..)
When you go to put it back together, use some emery paper or other mild abrasive to remove any rust, and be sure that the needles are not fallen over in the bottom of the cups. I tend to add more grease before assembly to add more reassurance they'll stay in place. If the cup will not go to the 'bottom' so you can install the clips, pull it apart rather than forcing as you may have a tipped over needle or two that will not compress. I also suggest using a wire brush, either hand or drill operated, to clean off surface rust while messing with these. It will keep the cups from any corruption and keep your hands/gloves from carrying rust particles around.
tom

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals