• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Losing Oil Pressure 93 3.0

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EVERYTHING in the engine compartment is covered in oil and mud.
Given the lack of maintenance you may find engine sludge, which may explain the noisy lifters.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
"I could not figure out an easy way to add the actual oil pressure gauge."

I wish you well on this project. do you have a torque wrench?

makonkey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Engine disassembled

I have gotten the engine out and broken down. Whoever did his transmission job apparently re-installed using an impact. A lot of the bolts were way over torqued and rounded.

This engine has diffidently not been well taken care of. It is sludged bad. The oil pump was extremely obstructed. The entire bottom of the oil pan is full of gunk, as well as most of the engine.

I am worried about the crankshaft. I would prefer to have it reground but I do not want to add another 150-200 to a free job. What would happen if I just replaced the main and rod bearings.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That one missed a few oil changes.

Mains won't last long that way, bearings are softer metal so you may be able to clean crankshaft up with Crocus cloth, that should remove most of the old bearing material from the journals.
I don't think they would be out of round
Emery Cloth tends to leave grit behind, but if you want to start with that and switch to crocus cloth I think that would be fine.

Not my money of course, and I know it adds up, but.............I would spend the $200 to have crank turned.

Last edited:

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dont like the looks of the bearings, wear on the ends & not in the middle is a sign of the crank out of round, and that crank has way too many ridges in it for me, I feel your wasting money on new bearings and such if you dont turn the crank.

You may be money & time ahead, looking for a 3.0, any year from a Taurus, Windstar, Ranger will work using your intake - exhaust and brackets. I paid $250 for a complete motor with less than 14k miles & $75 to ship it, it was in Canada.

I cant see rebuilding a 3.0 when they are dirt cheap, if you look around.

JP02XLT

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I dont like the looks of the bearings, wear on the ends & not in the middle is a sign of the crank out of round, and that crank has way too many ridges in it for me, I feel your wasting money on new bearings and such if you dont turn the crank.

You may be money & time ahead, looking for a 3.0, any year from a Taurus, Windstar, Ranger will work using your intake - exhaust and brackets. I paid $250 for a complete motor with less than 14k miles & $75 to ship it, it was in Canada.

I cant see rebuilding a 3.0 when they are dirt cheap, if you look around.

JP02XLT
^^^ This, unless you simply want to rebuild an engine. And if you do (want to rebuild) then do it right.

makonkey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I looked for a while online and have not been able to find a good condition engine local for less than 400. I did find a few that could be shipped for around 300. Looking at bearings gaskets and oil pump for around 200. I dropped the crank at a machine shop to see what they think. I will probably go with the refresh rather than used. I would want to clean a used engine anyway. If it was mine and I had more time I would keep looking for a good used engine. I feel like I need to get it finished.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals