• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 5.0 swap, gt40p exhaust help

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, in the middle of collecting parts for my 5.0 swap. Bought a '97 5.0 engine. Upon teardown I found out it has gt40p heads. No big deal, as they flow better than standard gt40's. My question is I have a new set of explorer cast manifolds and the Hedman 88400's. The cast manifolds are Dorman replacements. They are garbage! Pulled them out of the box and one port was cast shut! I few taps with the chisel and it was free, but the ports are tiny, I can hardly get my pinky finger in the ports. The Hedman headers are nice, but we all know they dont clear 2 plugs on the gt40p heads. This is for a daily driver, occasional offroader, so I need as much low end torque as possible. I can port, weld and fab. What should I do; port the cast manifold, or fab the drivers side Hedman header to clear the spark plugs?

Last edited:

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Stangman,

I have no experience with the 88400's but recently wrapped up a 5.0 swap in an 88 B2 using a 96 motor with the GT-40p heads to be used as a DD for my son and the low end torque with the stock cast manifolds is exceptional in comparison to the V6. I honestly can't imagine needing more but if needed I'll get the feeling of more torque when I install the 8.8" rear diff maybe going to something shorter than what the 7.5" that's in there right now has.

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I followed your build, dSINtia. I appreciate the quick responses tonight guys. I wonder which would yeild more low end torque, ported cast manifolds, or 1 1/2" tubular headers? Has anyone made this kind of switch? Obviously the ported cast manifolds would keep velocity up, which would in theory, keep low end torque as high as possible, correct? Thanks guys.

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure where but I remember reading during my research prepping for my truck that the tubular headers didn't flow as well as the cast stockers. Not sure if that is fact or opinion but the unported cast manifolds flow great for a DD... IMO.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The cast manifolds, even in stock form, outflow the stock headers even on a good day. Porting the cast manifolds will be more than enough to handle up to 300 hp...

SVT

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response guys,
It seems the general consensus is to port the cast manifolds, versus modifying the Hedman 88400's. Any other opinions?

Happy Thanksgiving guys, be safe!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, but open your wallet. The torque monster headers...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals