• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap

drew.hinds10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I'm starting to gather parts to put a 302 in my 93 ranger xlt. With an insane stroke of luck I found a 302 out of a 89 crown Vic (which luckily has the dual sump) with around 150,000 miles for only $100. I pick it up next week. Now I know I'm gonna have to put a new cam and lifters and while I'm at it I'm gonna replace the head cover gaskets and head gaskets. I plan to use my stock 5 speed as I was told this is able to handle the power. So any suggestions on what cam I should put in it? Also what's the best way to stiffen the front springs without breaking the bank? I plan to get everything before I start and I'm gonna build the motor about a week before I put it in so its not sitting too long after built. I have the radiator, water pump, alternator, power steering figured out. So suggestions and anything I missed?

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If your ranger had a V6 don't worry about the springs... The stock M5OD will not bolt up. I run a WC T5, click my build thread below

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best look for the trans and x-fer case out of a later 4.2 F-150. Your trans, even with an adapter will not last behind a V-8 for very long.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a FWI the BW4406 tcase is pretty good sized, some get them to fit others don't without frame work (which I don't care for)

I have a fixed output NP208 (out of a Bronco) waiting in the barn for me to find a 5 speed. :icon_thumby:

drew.hinds10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Where is the best place to get a conversion kit around $400-500?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I went with the M5ODR2 out of a 1997 5.0 F-150 and the NP205 TC. Everything bolts together easily and is built to handle the v8 power. I would recommend getting some other heads for that Crown Vic motor--the GT40s from an early V8 Explorer are a good choice and allow some header options. I did nothing to my old tired front springs and for my use they are adequate. The cam choice all depends on what yo will use the vehicle for--I went with the Mustang HO cam--suits me fine for DD and hunting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals