• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Bronco II issues

DocRoche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wish my 1st post in this forum could be something different, but unfortunately I am in need of assistance. Have several issues with my 87 Bronco II.

1. Will turn over and idle for about a 20 seconds then dies, a 20 seconds might even be generous. If I keep my foot on the gas long enough it will idle normal, but this is usually after about 2-3 minutes of giving it some gas. I cleaned out the IAC valve and throttle body and that helped a little, but still dies shortly after turning over. Once the engine has warmed up a bit it idles normal without dying.

2. It seems to sputter into gear when driving down the road. This is my first automatic vehicle, so I figured maybe I just wasn't use to it. But it rpms pretty high until it goes into gear. Some have mentioned this could be an EGR valve. Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Last but not least it tends to smoke white smoke under the passenger floor while driving. Not an outrageous amount, but enough to notice. This does not happen while the vehicle is idling. Just when driving. No noise is coming from the engine, and I don't see any leaks. I originally and still do think this could be the grime heating up from the outside of the oil pan as it looks like it has been there for awhile. But any insight would help.

Im trying to figure out problem 1 first. Im going to try to re-clean the IAC valve tonight. Any advice or ideas would be great. Ive heard this can be a common problem

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not great at diagnostics but that sounds like a vacuum leak. Once you have the engine running warm pull the plug on the iac. It should drop down to 500 rpm or die. If not then you have a vacuum leak.

DocRoche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ill try that. The truck sat for a long time so Im assuming the gas in it is old. If the vehicle does die would the focus still be the IAC?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not necesarily the iac. If it stays running then there is a vacuum leak somehere. The iac is a computer controlled vacuum leak and if it isn't working OR there is another leak elsewhere then the computer doesn't know how much fuel to put in.

DocRoche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ill check it out, thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals