• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Halp! Radio fire!

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
I have a 2001 Ranger all original. I went out and started my truck a few minutes before leaving. When I came out to leave, the truck smelled like an electrical fire. Smoke was coming out the front of the radio and from under the dash. I don't have the tool to remove the factory radio. Is there a way to remove it without the tool? I have seen the info about removing the trim. I didn't see anything about removing the radio without the tool that plugs into the holes in the front of the radio. TIA

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would think a few pieces of stuff wire would work as "the tool". Coat hanger might be too thick. But it's not critical. I haven't messed with a radio with that type of release but it's probably the same principal as many others. The radio is held in by a couple metal tabs. The tool merely engages those tabs in such a way as to make them disengage. Have you searched Youtube?

Sorry about the fire. Hopefully it was just the radio.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
The tool locks into the tabs and then levers them out of the way. I watched a video this morning about using coat hangers. It doesn't work for me. I've been at it since I posted this thread and I have given up on the coat hanger method.

What's worse, none of the fuses are labeled and neither is the fuse panel cover. I pulled all of them one at a time and checked them. I did the same to the under hood power distribution block. I would pull the fuse and leave the radio in but I don't have a clue which one to remove.

I'm the third owner of the truck. I don't know the first owner. My ex is the second owner. Neither of us knows what happened to the owners manual. Sometimes the fuse layout is in there.

If this wasn't my only ride at the moment, I would say screw it and just leave it alone. I don't know what the potential is for a future fire though. It's inside the dash so it's not like I can get in there to put it out with my extinguisher. Payday isn't until the 3rd of June for me. I can't buy any tools until then.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The coat hanger trick is hit or miss. Part of the reason for that is that the tool locks to the tabs and pulls the radio out, a coat hanger doesn't have the barbs.

The tool is widely available and not expensive, just go buy one.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
The coat hanger trick is hit or miss. Part of the reason for that is that the tool locks to the tabs and pulls the radio out, a coat hanger doesn't have the barbs.

The tool is widely available and not expensive, just go buy one.

As stated above. Payday is the 3rd of June. I'm on disability and have extremely limited resources. I need my truck. I can't risk a vehicle fire. I have not enough insurance to pay for the truck or any other property damages. Being disabled sucks. I'd rather be out there making the big money with the young guys. :icon_thumby:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
A very small flat head screw driver will work too. It has to be very small like for jewelry or eyeglass repair kits. I've done this several times and it always works for me.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Just take out the 2 7 mm screws in the bottom of the bezel and pull the whole thing out. It has metal compression clicks holding it in along with the 2 screws. Once you have the whole bezel in your hand you can simply release the tabs from the back of the bezel and slide the radio out.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Thanks all. I got it. I drug out one of my motorcycles and went down to a car stereo shop where an old friend works. I called in my ony favor with him and he opened his toolbox. Not as much stuff as mine but he had about three dozen of the radio removal tools. He said help yourself. I grabbed two, thanked him, and out the door I went.

I'm going to research a newer radio. I need speakers too. Nothing fancy just replacements. I'm not really a radio person.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals