• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 347/c4 build -project- rebel rouser

RonneyJAyala

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 For now...
Transmission
Manual
Hey Ronney, thanks for the heads up. I'm still probably going to grab an explorer rear end down the road. For now, the price was good and should help getting some power down rather than one wheelin it. Figured this doable while I mess with some other stuff.

Oh alright :) I converted my rear end to explorer rear end. However I'm not a drag truck, it's a daily/wheeler. Picked it up for only $60 in all honesty haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prymetime1

Reaction score
Haha its all good brotha. Thanks for looking out. The expo rear end out of the yard is about 375 with leafs if I remember correctly from when I priced it. I got this for a 100 so I'll grab the lsd out of it and probably post if online for 50 bucks. I'm going to rebuild it with a new kit n pack em good, there's a few write ups out there on how to do it that I'll be using as a guide since I'm planning on doing this shit with my pops.

RonneyJAyala

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 For now...
Transmission
Manual
Haha its all good brotha. Thanks for looking out. The expo rear end out of the yard is about 375 with leafs if I remember correctly from when I priced it. I got this for a 100 so I'll grab the lsd out of it and probably post if online for 50 bucks. I'm going to rebuild it with a new kit n pack em good, there's a few write ups out there on how to do it that I'll be using as a guide since I'm planning on doing this shit with my pops.

Yeah, I'm in need of rebuilding the current one I have. It doesn't grab as much as I'd like it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prymetime1

Reaction score
Ok so I made a lil progress today test fitting the new cluster.
I had to run around n pick up some goodies and the fed ex guy delivered my engine stand n parts to mess with.
I got sand to blast the headers, they look like hell already so I'll get them cleaned up. Got the vht high temp paint to coat them with before wrapping them with high temp wrap
Still need to pick up the por 15 so I can make the firewall n bay decent.
Pics or it don't happen right? :

Got this guy fitted in some empty space:

Swapping some switches out:

Also I'm probably going to reroute my trans lines, I have ss solid ones now I got from cj pony parts...took em 6 weeks :/
And I'm thinking of taking my plate off and mounting the cooler in the space in front bumper. I'll toss the plate in the windshield ;) I'll get pics of what I mean.
Till then.

Cars+PCs=Awesome

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
God damn. I wish I could do projects like your doing. I'm just the typical 17yr old with nothing but a few wrenches and $10 ?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

prymetime1

Reaction score
God damn. I wish I could do projects like your doing. I'm just the typical 17yr old with nothing but a few wrenches and $10 ?

Hey brotha, we all started somewhere. I started at 17, same way working on my 1st jeep. It's a fun hobby n being able to work on shit will save u money, give u confidence to tear ish apart n a smile when it's done and u did it....maybe a few curse n scrapes later but that's part of the fun. Keep following, I got some mo fun stuff going on while engines out.

Cars+PCs=Awesome

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey brotha, we all started somewhere. I started at 17, same way working on my 1st jeep. It's a fun hobby n being able to work on shit will save u money, give u confidence to tear ish apart n a smile when it's done and u did it....maybe a few curse n scrapes later but that's part of the fun. Keep following, I got some mo fun stuff going on while engines out.
Nice. Will do. My rangers getting my special treatment this summer. Trying to get it 100% ready for off-roading haha. Hopefully soon ?

prymetime1

Reaction score
Ok so I got a lil progress made over the past few days. I had to source some grade 8 7/16 x 4in bolts to get the block on the stand. Finally found them today so I got over to get wrenching.

Got the valve covers off and found some nice 1.6 trick flow roller rockers. Did not see any visible issues other than old cork gaskets that needed replacing.

I'll work on getting the intake and heads off by the weekend.

Also I have the cluster ready to go with a coat of hammer tone paint:

Going to work on cleaning up the bay this weekend, maybe get the headers cleaned up n painted/ wrapped. And re work some wiring.

Ono

prymetime1

Reaction score
Quick update, got the heads off last night and inspected things. No apparent gasket breakage. :/ I did find, I believe, felpro 1101-1 head gaskets were used when it was built. I've heard not so good things about those in my research the past week or so. I'm wondering if they just didn't seal good on the initial torqing. My pops, who's has done this shit 50 years ago said all looked good and to just toss new gaskets on it n go. Myself, am trying to make sure I get it right this time and will discuss further with the machine shop later today.
Here's some pics, check em out and let me know what u think.

Driver side

Passenger side.

It looks like it was seeping out thr passenger side by cyl 1 &2 with that rusted color along thr bottom of the head/block mating.

prymetime1

Reaction score
I forgot to mention in the above pics. From some research I found that the passenger side head gasket was installed backwards. U can see that is says "front " where it's clearly at the rear of the block. One of the more common mistakes I guess since it pops up often in the searches. I'm guessing that was an issue all along. Hoping I didn't hurt anything but the heads are going in Monday to get surfaced. Going to check the valve seals today with brake clean, dude told me to fill the chamber n see if it seeps through....if so needs new valves, etc. I'm looking to get cometic MLS type gaskets, I've read good things. Just need to confirm the bore size get to ordering things.
I'll have more updates later.
Ono

prymetime1

Reaction score
I made some progress today in regard to getting gauges pretty much ready to go, I like the fit n how it came out, just need to button it all up when I have the wiring complete.

I got to clean the bay, was pretty dirty again from all the fluids n ish. From there I cut out the front middle support t clean up the front n make room for thr new 16 in centered fan. I am also relocating thr Trans cooler to a lower point behind the bumper....removed the plate n boom...plenty of air flow. No pics yet as I need to finish cleaning n painting. I also cut n bent back the radiator support on the top area, it gives about .5 to .75 of an inch clearance for getting the engine back in easier.
I didn't get pics cuz it started raining so I had to clean up. It'll get cleaned up n painted as well. I got my order in for the gaskets, went with the cometic MLS type along with new motor mounts, oil pan gasket n intake gaskets. Should be here Wednesday. Hoping to have it back together as soon as I get the heads back.

I did grab pics of the cylinders since they looked good with the cross hatching:

Hoping to make some progress during the week so I'll post up as I go.
Ono.

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
awesome gauges dash brother, party on dude

prymetime1

Reaction score
Ok so a small progress update today.

I dropped the heads off yesterday 2pm and got to talking to the two dudes, it's father n son deal out of their house. Been building motors along time. We chatted for a bit and I got schooled on some more engine goodness.. after about a minute of looking at the heads, Sr tells me I'm loosing about 20 hp from shitty installed intake gaskets there not aligned right. Also advised that I'm using high octane for the flat top pistons since there was a bunch of carbon build up on em (showed them pics of everything), said it was a higher compression engine. Said I could go to a single plane intake for some lower end grunt and eventually swap to a holly hp carb as their favorite likings.

So cool deal, got a call at 10 am today saying they were done. Woo hoo, I was figuring a week or so. 160 bucks n I'm set to install this weekend.

My ish from summit should be here tomorrow so I am pretty stoked to hopefully be putting it back together this weekend.

While I'm down, I got my valve covers pretty clean and also cleaned n painted my brackets :

Oh...and here's a funny thing.....my rear end..it's a 7.5 with 3:45 gears :( wtf?

I have no clue where I got in my head it was an 8.8 with 3:08s......so..looking like a got a stang rear end to sell n put towards my explorer rear coming faster than thought. Haha. Live n learn.
Good thing is...I'll be able to mess with the gearing alil bit now. 3.55s?

Ono

prymetime1

Reaction score
So I made a lot of progress getting things cleaned up and back together. Getting ready to put the engine back in tomorrow.
I used por15 to coat ish up front. It's better than it was...by no mean is that pretty haha.

I used a felpro 1 pc oil gasket since the original one I put on did not seem to seal well. I used rtv on it last time and it was hanging from the stand so I hope this time i got it right.

Found it has some srp 40f pistons...nice:)
Moved on to setting the cometic head gaskets, heads n valve train. 1st time I've ever done this so i watched a ton of youtube videos to get an understanding. I hopefully didn't shit right. Well see when I Fire it up.

Redid my rusty as headers

Was going to wrap em but it's tight so I'm holding off on that for now.

I also picked up some new head lights n lower valance along with some ultra bright 4.5 inch led lights to make it sweet up front

Also got my wiring harness cleaned up quite a bit and redid all my switches. Cluster wiring is all set minus the oil feed and temp sending units for temp n trans temp.
Got alot to do but hoping to having it back on the road by next weekend.

Ono.

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Oh...and here's a funny thing.....my rear end..it's a 7.5 with 3:45 gears :( wtf?

I have no clue where I got in my head it was an 8.8 with 3:08s......so..looking like a got a stang rear end to sell n put towards my explorer rear coming faster than thought. Haha. Live n learn.
Good thing is...I'll be able to mess with the gearing alil bit now. 3.55s?

Ono
Find a ranger 4.0 or 4X4 and it will have an 8.8 that will bolt right in, that's what I did for $200, added TrakLock carrier and Moser axles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals