• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB wire

dranger21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a CB mounted on my dash beside the drivers door and I have the antenna wire running out through my door. Everytime it rains tho I have water pouring into my truck now because of the wire through the weatherstripping. I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas about where to run the wire or anyway to get it to stop leaking.
Thanks

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Where is your antenna mounted? If it's on the roof, try running the wire in through the third brake light, but make sure it's sealed well, because water can leak in through there too.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I ran my wire along the weatherstripping with some weatherstrip adhesive to hold it to the rubber and then brought it in at the bottom under the step plate and carpet. then bring it to wherever the radio is. No leaks. No visible wires.

bigspaceghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4.sl0w
Transmission
Manual
wiring

drill hole in back of cab.Purchase rubber grommet to fit hole.(available at local hardware store).You will need to cut grommet to install around the coax cable. then insert grommet into hole. Add little bit of silicon to ensure no leaks. This way the coax will not get broken-do to consistant bending from such things as having pressure applied and released everytime the door gets opened.

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have seen the wire go outside through the driver's mirror mount. The antenna was mounted on the mirror mount. Antenna wire passes with the factory wire harness from behind driver's kick panel into the door.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
drill hole in back of cab.Purchase rubber grommet to fit hole.(available at local hardware store).You will need to cut grommet to install around the coax cable. then insert grommet into hole. Add little bit of silicon to ensure no leaks. This way the coax will not get broken-do to consistant bending from such things as having pressure applied and released everytime the door gets opened.
Drill a hole and mount a RFU-537 (fully-threadded double-female PL-259 adapter) in the back of the cab. If you do it right it will give you a much better ground than the coupling of a mag-mount can give you. It will also ground out any RF coming back down the shield of the coax.

Radio Shack doesn't sell a fully-threaded adapter. You will have to find a store specializing in Amateur Radio or a two-way radio shop, or order it on the internet. If you end up ordering it on the internet I would suggest ordering extra connectors since you will have to pay a minimum shipping fee. You can get better connectors on the internet than you can locally anyway, and it will end up being cheaper than Radio Shack.

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Not That Hard

Well i dont know if you have this. Behind the drivers seat in my truck if you take the plastic piece up on the floor and pull the carpet back, theres some rubber grommets you can pull up and its drainage holes..You can just pull out one of those rubber gromets and run your cable out that way...simple

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well i dont know if you have this. Behind the drivers seat in my truck if you take the plastic piece up on the floor and pull the carpet back, theres some rubber grommets you can pull up and its drainage holes..You can just pull out one of those rubber gromets and run your cable out that way...simple
That's what I did. Except I used one that is under the drivers feet. Just ran the wire under the carpet to that hole (I put a hole in the plug and then made a slit so that the wire could get to the hole in the center of the plug) and then sealed up the plug/ hole. I haven't had any problems yet.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I will deffinately look into the suggestions from the previous two posts as I am getting ready to hook up the CB in my truck. Now just need to figure out where to mount the CB itself so that it is out of sight and out of mind. I work in kind of seedy area, and don't want to get out of work to find a beusted out window.

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual

Most dudes place there small CBs under the armrest that lifts up. They screw it in upside down on the armrest..You prob have an extended cab right? wish i did...well im sure you can find somewhere to mount it back there especially if you got tinted windows nobody will see...but then a big as antenna will probably let someone in on your secret!

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
must be a real good cb or a real seedy hood. i got a $200 cb hangin between the visors and nobody has stolen it yet. usually they go for stereos or cd's, never seen one steal a cb.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals