• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 2.3L; Failure to Start, No Codes

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning everyone,

My father called me last night to say that his 2004 Ranger, 2.3L engine would not start. He said it cranked over but would not fire. The only other problems this truck has had was a misfire about 6 months ago, which was corrected by a new coil (wires and plugs were changed at that time also).

I looked at it this morning, starting off by cranking it just to see for myself. It cranked fine, stumbled some as if it was trying to fire but never would catch, and I noticed immediately the smell of raw gas from the exhaust pipe. It acted flooded, but injected vehicles are not supposed to flood, so...

No "check engine" light was on, and no codes at all showed on my Actron code scanner. The truck has a half tank of fuel in it, was last filled about a week and a half ago, and was last started about four days ago. It is kept in a garage, currently at about 45 degrees F. It ran fine up until the failure to start last night. I can hear the fuel pump running, and the two plug wires I pulled and checked were firing. I installed the wires back, held the pedal to the floor, cranked it over, and after a few seconds it fired and ran! On the second restart it started a little reluctantly, but multiple times after that it seemed to start fine.

We let it set for an hour or so, went out to try it again, and it would not start again. After I pushed the fuel pedal in just slightly, it fired and ran fine. I repeated this a couple more times while the engine was still cold; no start without touching the pedal, but would start if I cracked the pedal just a little bit. Once started the engine would idle high (1000-1100 rpm or so) for just a few seconds, then idle down as it should when warm.

I'm puzzled by no code, but I'm wondering if the IAC is bad, causing a no-air "flooding" condition if the fuel pedal is not depressed to crack open the throttle plate. That would explain the strong smell of raw gas at first. But, it seems like the IAC is controlling the idle briefly right after the engine starts, but it doesn't seem to be keeping the idle up as long as it should. Would the IAC throw a code if it were not working correctly?

My other suspicion is the TPS, but again without a code I am not sure. My Actron scanner is one of the better models and will read data from the engine; is there a way to check the AIC and TPS function once I do get it running?

Any experience or advice would be most appreciated. Merry Christmas to you all!
Regan

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a "Clear Flooded Engine" mode on all fuel injection Computers
Turn key on
Press gas pedal to the floor and hold it there(this turns OFF fuel injectors, leaves spark on)
Crank engine

Engine should NOT start or even fire a little, there should be no fuel in the intake.
As soon as you let off the gas pedal the injectors will start again, even while cranking.

If it fires then you could have a leaking injector, flooding engine after it is shut off, but I would think the fuel would evaporate sitting over night.
BUT......you could get a no start in the morning because fuel pressure is 0 as it leaked out.
Ford computers prime the fuel system for 2 seconds when key is turned on, so before doing the above test I would turn key on, count to 3 then turn it off, do it again and then turn on key and do the test, this will prime the fuel system 3 times to build up pressure.

TPS wouldn't cause a no start

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, Ron, I appreciate your help. He hasn't had any further problems with the truck, so it may have been just a fluke? I hope so!

MPetrosino

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im having the exact same problems, have you had any luck troubleshooting or did you just let go after it started running again?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals