• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5th gen chip thread

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, i've been wanting to chip my truck for a short period of time now... and can't seem to find any reliable information, now can i find any dedicated threads on here, so i figured, new thread time...

what chips are available for the final generation of the ranger, and what are their abilities, strengths ect...

specifically i am going to be driving back home in may, and hope to get a chip by then to help me save on gas while i'm gone, it's a 2000km trip, plus what ever driving i do there... and with the current 13.2mpg i've been getting, it's going to be an expensive trip!

i was looking at the superchip, it's of course the first brand that comes to mind when you think chips... but it's 337$ on ebay, and doesn't seem to have any claims for fuel economy...

even if anyone knows of any programmers that you can use through an iphone or something (and of course an ipod to odbII cord) i would be totally interested in that

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
An SCT X3 with custom tunes is going to be your best best it seems. Most of the 'canned' tunes are shit.

Seems most tuners are going performance, not economy though.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, that's kinda what i see in it... i know everyone's going to laugh at me for this, but honestly, my truck has enough power... i don't need any more for what i do with it... i haven't had any power issues with pulling, or getting stuck in mud where the engine is bogged right down...

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Your rocking 33's? Re geared? Compensating for the difference in stock vs aftermarket tires?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, 33x12.5, running 4.10's but for highway, i woudln't want the rpm any higher... especially around here, traffic moves quite often 120ish, and i'm doing 2700rpm...

the 33's are nice because the speedo is almost dead accurate now, it's got a good amount of power like i said, it's just getting expensive, and i know that the engine can be tuned to be more efficent... i had a friend who had a programmer that had 3 "custom" tunes, performance, economy, and mix, the mix gave it a little better economy than stock, and a little better performance, the performance tune dropped his F/E to around 10mpg, but had way more power, and the econ gave him i think he said around 23mpg? but no power... it was on an 08 sport 4L auto 2wd 4.10 IIRC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Chips are a waste of money. Tuner is what you want. Check out the superchips flashpaq

Zombiemoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2011 4.0L extended cab sport 5sp with the superchips cortex tuner full K&N cold air kit and full magnaflow exhaust and throttlebody spacer...
mines stock (2wd)I get 35mpg regularly on the highway and about 19mpg in town..
superchip tuner changed nothing....i saw no gains and felt nothing different..all in all the upgrades I have done gave me more bottom end torque maybe 10mpg in the grand scheme of things..deffinatly helped the numbers in town though..but i also spent close to $1700 to acheive this

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2011 4.0L extended cab sport 5sp with the superchips cortex tuner full K&N cold air kit and full magnaflow exhaust and throttlebody spacer...
mines stock (2wd)I get 35mpg regularly on the highway and about 19mpg in town..
superchip tuner changed nothing....i saw no gains and felt nothing different..all in all the upgrades I have done gave me more bottom end torque maybe 10mpg in the grand scheme of things..deffinatly helped the numbers in town though..but i also spent close to $1700 to acheive this
well, i really don't mean to sound like a dick, but you must have a wizard in your truck, if the tuner did nothing, because the K&N cold air kit will not add power, the stock intake comes in through the fender, and brings cold air in, so the cold air intake you bought will do nothing, the only way a cold air kit would have any benefit on our trucks would be if it takes air from the same place, but keeps more heat out of the intake tube...

the k&n filter will give you better air flow for maybe 2 weeks, before it is dirty and flows worse than a paper filter, throttle body spacers are proven to do nothing, and this is proven time and time again, simply put, for the amount it costs to machine one, every vehicle would have one from the factory, if it did anything... only way a spacer could do anything, is if you've got a/c refrigerant running through it, which actually could provide some serious gains, if done correctly, it would help cool the intake and give you a denser charge, though you would lose what ever gain you make, on the draw of the a/c compressor...

as for your exhaust system, if you changed the exhaust manifolds to headers, you will gain some there for sure, but not 10mpg...

as for the rest of the system, nope...the stock muffler is pretty unrestricted, (i also have a magnaflo muffler now) the stock ranger cat is also high flow... so i hate to be a dick, but the only thing that would have made a difference, would be if you have headers now, if what you say about the chip is true...

actually, thinking about it, i did hear some really interesting facts on HHO generators, basically it's a device that splits water into hydrogen and oxygen, and you take that and re burn it. you can power one from your battery on your vehicle, and it can be self contained, with the exception of refilling the water (distilled water would be ideal) the theory behind this is not that the hho adds power by adding an additional fuel source, because as with the a/c in the intake, the benefit would be lost by the draw to create the gas, but rather the hho burns differently than hc+o2 and the two reactions happening simultaneously is said to make the hc+o2 reaction more efficient...

of course the argument could be made that when hho is burned, it creates pure h20, which of course, is much more dense, and smaller physically, and based off of the principals of a combustion engine, this may work against the power stroke of the engine... the question is, how long does the hho burning raction take? if it is the same time, or slightly longer than gasoline, then we are fine, if it is much shorter, it's going to be shrinking, and actually take up less volume in the power stoke, than it does in the compression stroke... and this, even without the draw of creating the gas, would cause a loss of efficiency...

the last question about HHO working in a vehicle would be what is the "octane" equivalent of it? if it turns out to be the mid to high 80's it would be fine, but if it's say 70 or so, then you're going to have predetonation, and it (i am sure) will burn hotter than the ignition point of fuel, which means your gasoline is now burning too

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hahahah 35mpg? That's nothin bro
My 4.0 gets 55mpg.

Agreed with above. Tb spacers do nothing, CAI does nothing, not sure about the cortex, but I've seen the flashpaq pull 1-3 mpg better on the highway. So I dunno what magical fairy you've got living in your truck, but I want proof of this 35 mpg.

Maybe you have the 4banger and don't realize it lmao.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I gotta say my superchips works awesome. i grabbed an extra 3mpg, about 12-15 hp, and the idle smoothed right out. im running the HP tune.

But i also have an E-fan, and a drop in k&n filter. Im xpecting when my exhaust goes it, to get another mpg or 2.

oh, also, im on 33x10.50's and 4.56 gears, 2wd.

Zombiemoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
throttle body spacer was free so no waste of anything on my end..and yes I know they do nothing..and its my understanding people who have installed a set of headers claim to have lost bottom end power and no really gained to much...still need to try the HP tune on the cortex though im sure it will do something..I dont own a dyno so I cant give you solid power numbers..but im sure it all does work and all helps in the end...better throttle response for sure though
well at any rate ive gone from 17mpg to 20.4mpg in town where 90% of all my driving takes place.
497KM
57.316L $1.169L
do the math
20.4mpg or $0.22per mile $0.13per km
thats my average every week
you dont believe i got 35mpg once thats fine disregard it..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lmao. 35 mpg. Maybe downhill with a strong tail wind.

That spacer adds weight. Why bother putting something on that does absolutely nothing?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a common comment about headers, though I don't believe I've ever seen any dyno numbers reflect it... Headers are more for top end power, as it lets the engine breathe better

Sent from somewhere naughty!

01_ranger_4x4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
An SCT X3 with custom tunes is going to be your best best it seems. Most of the 'canned' tunes are shit.

Seems most tuners are going performance, not economy though.
Pretty much this ^^ SCT X-Cal with custom tunes FTW

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you say custom tune, is it something that is just whatever it's set to, or can you select several different tunes as you go?

Something I've never quite understood, why doesn't someone create a tune that is intelligent (kinda) one that changes its focus from economy to power, based on a combination of speed, acceleration and throttle position?

Ie, of you are driving around using 1/8th or 1/4 throttle, it adjusts to be as fuel efficient as possible, but I'd you stomp it, you get as much power as possible... I say acceleration and speed also though, because say you're on the highway, 120km/h (70mph) and at half throttle or whatever just cruising, it should adjust so that you get the best fuel economy to maintain that speed...

Sent from somewhere naughty!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals