• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swap mania

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have to admit, I am here to see what I can swap onto my BII, to make it do what I want it to do. My question is, with all this info, why hasn't any one made a spread sheet, showing dimensions, ect. that tells us what can swap with what, to beef up our rigs. Some of you guys seem to be Astro-RBV-ists to me, but the real info just seems to be random. I know exactly what it takes to create the info base, ( I USED to be a manufacturing ingineering tech) Many of the questions and answers seem to be repetative. Guys.... The answers are mostly here, just not easily searched. Alot of you are tired of seeing the same old questions ( I'm new here, but can tell from your answers) the Tech Library is REALLY helpful, but not all inclusive...( there is a seperation between what some guys think they should do, and real technical based info.)

SOME of you REALLY know your stuff. I for one would really like to access your knowledge, ( and not dig through hear-say) All I'm asking is ( like it's not a HUGE amount of trouble)...........................................

Is it at all possible to launch a monumental task and organize solid info in an easily searched format to help even my simple mind to fit all Bronco II, Ranger, and Explorer parts together to make a better world for all 4X4ist every where???

Before you all hate me beyond recognition.....

This IS the MOST DETAILED and INFORMATIVE SITE on the WEB.

I'm simply trying to help us all grow to the next level, for ALL of our sakes.

OK. Start shooting at me, I have a bullet proof vest. :derisive::derisive:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've said the same thing. We need a sticky with some of the drive shaft specs honestly. What will work/ what won't.. We had like 4 threads on just driveshaft stuff at one time.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a lot of repetition, especially on certain discussions. Newbies usually don't know about the tech library and are in a panic about finding something wrong. they want a quick fix. Jim and the mods have done a good job compiling the info already. You might contact Jim and find out if they could use your help, or want it.

Just remember, a lot of this stuff is based on personal expierience and not scientific fact. Every swap is different. That is why there is so many opinions

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There is a lot of repetition, especially on certain discussions. Newbies usually don't know about the tech library and are in a panic about finding something wrong. they want a quick fix. Jim and the mods have done a good job compiling the info already. You might contact Jim and find out if they could use your help, or want it.

Just remember, a lot of this stuff is based on personal expierience and not scientific fact. Every swap is different. That is why there is so many opinions

I agree with you Country. I sometimes get tired of seeing the same questions repeated. But we have to remember that this is a forum, and there are only so many RBV questions before some start repeating.
Again, it's a forum...without all of the asking and answering then it would just be an Archive.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I understand there are alot of opinions, but we're dealing with real measurable components. Somewhere lost in a Ford Engineering vault buried miles underground and heavily gaurded, are specifications, and dimensions of absolutely every part that goes on these trucks. I used to work for a remanufacturing facility for Ford transmissions, and can tell you they don't want to share the info. BUT, if you have a part in your hand, and know what it came out of, (and know how to use measuring devices) you can record that info. Many of the RBV gurus on here know how to do this, or can be given some directions, and some Head Master RBV Guru could theoretically compile this info into a searchable database.

YES, I understand this takes time.

I would absolutely buy a booklet or CD with quality swap info on it. If I'm up in Hurtsville, Utah and break my drive shaft or blow an alternator, It would be awsome to know I could pull one from whatever other vehicle, maybe swap out the flange or yoke or whatever, and get back home.

Catalogues like LMC truck for Ranger, Bronco II, and Explorer, are VERY helpfull, because you can often see by the part #,s that X part on my vehicle is the same part as the one on Y vehicle. In a pinch, it can REALLY make a difference.

Last edited:

Racerm95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actual Inter swaps are covered by Hollander.. Available at your local wreckers.. Also Peruse the torrent sites I have seen a copy of the e-Hollander floating around ...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Holland Interchange might be a really good source for the database I'm talking about, if someone were to pull out only the info specific to this forum's needs (RBV's) From what little bit I saw, the intire interchange is way more info than most of us would ever need. It's also not cheap.

I wish i knew more about writing programs, and had all the data, It would be sweet to be able to input your make/ model, and the part you needed info on, and get a list of other vehicles that use it.

It would also be really cool to get a list of build configurations, to see what bolts up to what, and what replaces what, and mods that have to be made to do it. Collectively, the info seems to be here, If the right person reads the thread, and responds......

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The problem is getting people to take the time.

Also, not one person knows it all. Save for alland of course..

I know a good amount about Axles, Tcases, Flanges and the likes with RBV's, but that's only because I have been forced to work with them over and over again.

I torrented the Holland Interchange, while back. I'l see if I still have it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The tech library is great but incomplete. It will never be "complete" - there is always new stuff coming out and it is really impossible to document it all.

There is also a thousand different ways to do simple stuff... like 4.0 swaps vary by year of donor and what you're swapping into. There are just too many little details and just checking the accuracy of something like this would be a HUGE undertaking - but that's not to say that it couldn't be done.

Third - probably 90% of stuff people ask about can be found with a search and some digging. I know sometimes get tired of people asking the same stuff over and over again... people really need to realize that they need to search FIRST and do some research so they at least know something about what they want to do before they start in with more questions.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
also every topic isnt necessarily the same question, so it seems like its repetitive.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
unoleisu, I get what you are saying, but I agree with Country.

I'm a dealership tech. I can tell you about 5 different ways to do most jobs. They range from "the way the book says to do it" to "the right way to do it". Every job turns out differently and you run in to different problems with each job.

The other thing is that these trucks have a total of 9 different transmissions. That isn't counting different variations of one trans model. Parts that you can and can't use sometimes depend heavily on which trans you have. It's nice to have a quick guide of which parts should work, but sometimes just saying "this part will fit" isn't good enough.

A lot of questions get repetitive, and a lot of threads die in 4 or 5 posts once the question is answered. A lot of threads turn into people asking questions and needing answers once they run into problems.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The other thing is that these trucks have a total of 9 different transmissions. That isn't counting different variations of one trans model. Parts that you can and can't use sometimes depend heavily on which trans you have. It's nice to have a quick guide of which parts should work, but sometimes just saying "this part will fit" isn't good enough.
Yup, not to mention at least 11 different engine options as well. Just too much stuff out there.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I torrented the Holland Interchange, while back. I'l see if I still have it.
Did you find it?
How would I be able to get a copy?
I don't know much about torrents but I suppose I could learn, if I have too,maybe....

Richard

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I torrented the Holland Interchange, while back. I'l see if I still have it.[/QUOTE]

I am unfamiliar with torrents, but would be really interested in that info. I have a fear of internet downloads, since the internet is so full of viruses. I have lost alot of valuable (to me) info due to them.

Also I realize the complexity SEEMS overwhelming. The key is start out with one vehicle, and it's drive train. For conversation, example;

NOTE: this is not acurate info, just an example of how the info could be organized

I have an 87 BII 2.9l-A4LD-BW1350
2.9 direct swaps with=
a. ? all outher 2.9s ?
b. 4.0 - requires harness,computer, radiator, from donor vehicle
c. 302 - requires more extensive work including motor mount relocation, ect.

list important diminsions, special notes

A4LD direct swaps with=

a. FM146- requires donor vehicle shift linkage
b. M5OD -requires donor vehicle shift linkage, Drive shaft mods for some vehicles
c. FM 145- requires driveshaft mods due to longer length

BW1350 Transfer case swaps with=
a. BW1354- requires flange swaps, or drive shaft mods. (may be a good Idea to use a beefier Explorer shaft and cut to length.

7.5 rear axle swaps with=a. all other BII 7.5 rear axles, and others to be listed
b. 8.8 rear axle from Explorer- requires spring mount, and shock mount relocation

Post referances to detail explanations previuosly posted, as needed.

Anyway, different formats can be used, but the idea of quick searchable referances can make the difference between getting our RBV's back on the road in time for work monday morning, ect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals