• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duratec 2.3 build?

Darkwolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone built up a 2.3 duratec? I've heard the focus 2.3 camshafts are the same... Anyone installed performance cams?

usmc2003ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to know this as well

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't seen anybody build a naturally aspirated Duratec 2.3 in a Ranger. The Duratec Ranger performance aftermarket is pretty much limited to a shorty header (the factory manifold looks really good though, so minimal gains if any for the header), cams, an underdrive crank pulley, or cylinder head upgrades. And of course you can always tune them to using an aftermarket tuner. Anything else will require custom fabrication.

There are a couple of very nice turbocharged builds on TurboRangerForums. ONe is a remote setup, and the other is full of custom machining/fab and runs 10s in the 1/4mile.

You could always look at NC Miata builds since it's the same basic architecture, and the Duratec/MZR 4 cylinders are popular swaps into Locost builds too due to the hp/weight.

Moral of the story, is there are plenty of examples of things that can be done to the Duratec 4 cylinders, but almost no examples specifically in a Ranger. You'll have to do some research and decide what you think would be worthwhile/applicable for your truck.

MarzGraphixDesign

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 03 with a 5spd. just did a rebuild on my 2.3 duratec. I'll try and remember everything i did.
zero deck block
resurface head for flatness
chamber polished
ported head
deburred and removed all over casting/flashing in and out
Mech. fan delete
EGR delete
intake flapper delete (forgot their name)
glyptaled oil pan, valve cover and timing chain cover.
A/C delete
Baffled and filtered oil catch can
Supertech 9.0:1, 88mm pistons, rings and full floating pins (they have three different comp. ratio pistons)
eagle H-beam rods
ACL coated bearings
Crower stage1 cam set (nice little lope)
MSDS Header(a real nice little header)
Accel coil
Magnecor wires
pulstar plugs
3" air intake system(home made ram air)
Spectre air filter
High output fuel pump(can't remember brand)
2.250" mandrel bent exhaust thru a dynomax super turbo(not to raspy) it doesn't sound like a pissed off bumble bee.
new spec d stage2 clutch kit
Upgraded all battery wires to 01 welding leeds

Thats about all of it it sounds good you can tell by the idle it is cammed haven't really thrashed it or put a tune to it yet since I'm still in breaking in mode.

MarzGraphixDesign

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Another FYI the only differences between the focus/mazda3 and the ranger are timing chain cover, intake, exhaust, and crank. The ranger has a HD crank it being a truck. also a few other exterior things like hoses and sensor placement, basically same animal's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals