• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swap mania

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I found it.

PM me for more info.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm by no means saying that this is a bad idea. I think it's a great idea. We just need someone with the time and skills to organize it all.

I know a lot of this stuff, and I know there are a lot of other guys around here like me. We don't have reference sheets, or tables, or anything written. This info is all just kicking around in our heads with the dust bunnies. The fact that much of it is unwritten in any formal or organized sense is what makes it such a major project.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually in the middle of a M50D swap and 2" lift on my BII at the moment, so I can't spend much time on this, but perhaps some one on this site could set up some sort of page that we all could access and input what we know. Starting with basic swaps, and then into more complicated stuff later.
I don't know who can do this sort of thing on this site, but is there some one who could/ would?

Format is not as important as it being user friendly.....

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i think this is a good idea, but in order to protect the sanctity of the info there needs to be a rule that only people who have performed a specific swap first hand (not " i had a buddy......." or "a guy online posted.....") can provide the info

if there is one thing that i have found is that bad info on forums gets passed around because it sounds believable, and is usually mixed in with good true info. but only a person who has actually done the swap could sort it all out.
a good example is everybody on the forum go through your last 10 posts, on how many of those 10 posts did you post something that you yourself had not experienced first-hand in real-life?

HERE IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHY:
i was swapping an engine on a 1998 isuzo rodeo this past weekend, i was putting an engine from an auto trans rodeo into a man trans rodeo ( the holland listed several years interchanging). the holland interchange, and the isuzu forums both said that they are a direct interchange.
but i found that the auto trans crankshaft doesn't have a hole big enough for the pilot bearing, and the hole it does have was too small for a bushing, (it was 3mm larger than the input shaft) so i had to have a bushing that fit the inside of the input shaft (ended up coming from a much older model) lathed down to 1.5mm wall diameter to make it work because the computers only listed the 50mm or so wide bearing for that model/year. then after installing the engine the bellhousing woud not fully seat (about 4mm spacing) it turns out that the auto and manual trans have the dowel pins in different places, so i had to pull it al out, pull the pins, (lots of heat and a slide hammer) and put it back in. then the dummy water pump that the fan and pulley bolts to is 1" further to the driver's side. so the fan now hit the shroud, so i needed the dummy-pump from the other motor, that the guy i was helping already took back to the wrecking yard to get his core charge back.

i know that was really long-winded but there will be no point in having all of this collaberated info if some of it is bad and no one will be able to know it until they go through hell figuring it out, "but the interchange chart on trs said it was a direct swap......" if i had only known i would have told him to find an engine from the same year, with man trans, as opposed to letting the j/y (using holland) say "yep....this'll git'r done"

Last edited:

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i think this is a good idea, but in order to protect the sanctity of the info there needs to be a rule that only people who have performed a specific swap first hand (not " i had a buddy......." or "a guy online posted.....") can provide the info

if there is one thing that i have found is that bad info on forums gets passed around because it sounds believable, and is usually mixed in with good true info. but only a person who has actually done the swap could sort it all out.
a good example is everybody on the forum go through your last 10 posts, on how many of those 10 posts did you post something that you yourself had not experienced first-hand in real-life?

HERE IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHY:
i was swapping an engine on a 1998 isuzo rodeo this past weekend, i was putting an engine from an auto trans rodeo into a man trans rodeo ( the holland listed several years interchanging). the holland interchange, and the isuzu forums both said that they are a direct interchange.
but i found that the auto trans crankshaft doesn't have a hole big enough for the pilot bearing, and the hole it does have was too small for a bushing, (it was 3mm larger than the input shaft) so i had to have a bushing that fit the inside of the input shaft (ended up coming from a much older model) lathed down to 1.5mm wall diameter to make it work because the computers only listed the 50mm or so wide bearing for that model/year. then after installing the engine the bellhousing woud not fully seat (about 4mm spacing) it turns out that the auto and manual trans have the dowel pins in different places, so i had to pull it al out, pull the pins, (lots of heat and a slide hammer) and put it back in. then the dummy water pump that the fan and pulley bolts to is 1" further to the driver's side. so the fan now hit the shroud, so i needed the dummy-pump from the other motor, that the guy i was helping already took back to the wrecking yard to get his core charge back.

i know that was really long-winded but there will be no point in having all of this collaberated info if some of it is bad and no one will be able to know it until they go through hell figuring it out, "but the interchange chart on trs said it was a direct swap......"

lol, this. Exactly this.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I absolutely agree with the first hand experience issue. That's another reason why a RBV Guru should be handling a project like this. I personally can filter out alot of the BS, but if I haven't done it myself, just don't know on some things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals