• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 5.0L Mountaineer Build - SAS with Tons

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I just about bought one of these axles to use when i link my ranger but no 16" wheels means no bueno.

Any progress? I sure hope so

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
i dont think you've said yet, but what is the plan for axle location? thought you were going to try and use the stock radius arm's, kinda.
I am not using any of the OEM arm stuff. Currently working on cutting off the oem arm mounts. They hang too low for my liking. I am planing on a standard 3 link with tube arms.

I probably will be pushing the axle forward 4" or so for oil pan clearance. But I really haven't fit this 60 under there yet to see what clearance issues I will have. This 60 is not manageable (weight wise) fully assembled by myself. I could move earlier D60 versions, but not this one. I ordered super deep snap ring pliers a few weeks ago so I can actually disassemble this thing and move it around. Haven't had a chance to do that yet..

I sold the Auto Trans to a guy on the explorer forum. Working on getting that out at the moment and the manual Trans in. I can't design my links under I know where and what my Trans crossmember looks like.

99 Mounty: Tons & 42s
97 Dually

Last edited:

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size

Last edited:

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Got the trans out. First automatic I have ever pulled out. Not bad with the front axle and suspension missing.
Need to pull the case off of it this weekend. The trans has been sold and is making a trip to the West coast. Before I do that, I will be comparing it, physically, to the ZF5.
I still need to pick up a flywheel. I still need to research what I need.

Also selling my house to move closer to life lol. As in work, free baby sitters, etc. Also trying to get into a few select school districts. So I need to get this thing at least rolling sooner than later.
There is a 95% chance the next house wont have a garage for this beast. I will probably have to build one which is my preference. Do it how I want. But it will delay this project.

Last edited:

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
.... Before I do that, I will be comparing it, physically, to the ZF5.
I still need to pick up a flywheel. I still need to research what I need.
I'd be real interested in seeing a comparison. In the next month or so I'm doing a 4R70w to M50D swap, but I would like to go ZF if I can ever find a reasonably priced one in the future. It would be nice to try to get enough clearance while doing the M5OD swap to make sure that a ZF would fit in the same hole. But I got a feeling that some sort of Body life will be needed to fit it, or some tranny tunnel hacking.

As for the rest of the stuff, here's what you'll need:

In addition to that list, you'll need to come up with some shoulder bolts to mount the clutch to the flywheel (3/8" I think).

Edit: Ha! Looks like my table didn't paste over dangit. I'll try to fix that later. But you're going to need all the junk from a '96 F150 (Starter, clutch, flywheel). Grab the full hydro setup from an explorer as well as a pedal setup and you're golden.

Clutch is LUK 7128
Flywheel is LUK LFW161

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I'd be real interested in seeing a comparison. In the next month or so I'm doing a 4R70w to M50D swap, but I would like to go ZF if I can ever find a reasonably priced one in the future. It would be nice to try to get enough clearance while doing the M5OD swap to make sure that a ZF would fit in the same hole. But I got a feeling that some sort of Body life will be needed to fit it, or some tranny tunnel hacking.

As for the rest of the stuff, here's what you'll need:

In addition to that list, you'll need to come up with some shoulder bolts to mount the clutch to the flywheel (3/8" I think).

Edit: Ha! Looks like my table didn't paste over dangit. I'll try to fix that later. But you're going to need all the junk from a '96 F150 (Starter, clutch, flywheel). Grab the full hydro setup from an explorer as well as a pedal setup and you're golden.

Clutch is LUK 7128
Flywheel is LUK LFW161

Hope that helps.
The ZF is TALL. Like open up the trans tunnel and build a 6" tall box tall.lol

Sent from XT1030 using Crapatalk

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I have a ZF and a M5odr2 sitting in my garage right now if you guys want any dimensions let me know. Plum is right the ZF shift tower is tall.

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a ZF and a M5odr2 sitting in my garage right now if you guys want any dimensions let me know. Plum is right the ZF shift tower is tall.
That would be good! I know the ZF is quite a bit taller, but I have yet to fine a good comparison between it and the M5OD. If you could grab some side by side photos and a few measurements, that would be great! A couple of the dimensions I'd be interested in are:
- Approximate width
- Approximate height from center to the shifter tower/tower base
- Approximate bell housing depth

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Finally posting this.

The 4R70W is on its way to the West coast. Excuse the last minute crating with materials I had in the truck.

The 4R70W vs a SBF ZF5. I think it should go in nicely.

Also my house is under contract. So a bit busy over here with that. I need to get this truck at least rolling so I can move it to the next place where ever that might be.

And I need an externally balanced flywheel with 50oz of imbalance. Crazy enough, Amazon has the best price. I need to get that ordered this week. I was at Summit Racing the other night but they only had billet wheels in stock. A Luk LFW161 will work just fine for my application.

Specs I am running for future reference:
164 tooth
11" clutch
External, 50oz imbalance

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Those ZF transmissions really are tall. This may be a dumb question, but what is the 50 oz of imbalance for?

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Those ZF transmissions really are tall. This may be a dumb question, but what is the 50 oz of imbalance for?
That is what is needed to keep this generation 302 balanced. The older ones, 1980ish and older require 28oz. At least from what I gather on Google.

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
I have been busy. But I got some pedals and a column from a 97 Ranger for this project. Plumcrazy picked they up for me at a swap meet. $40.

I sold my house. Then the buyer lost his financing. Then it sold again, but the couple got in a country vs new subdivision argument. The wife one and the offer was pulled. So I lost two contracts I had on new-to-me houses. Its been fun. So we are back to square one. Lots of house showings on weekends kicking me out of the garage. And me looking at houses in the evenings. Once I get under contract again, I will be able to wrench again.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I have been busy. But I got some pedals and a column from a 97 Ranger for this project. Plumcrazy picked they up for me at a swap meet. $40.

I sold my house. Then the buyer lost his financing. Then it sold again, but the couple got in a country vs new subdivision argument. The wife one and the offer was pulled. So I lost two contracts I had on new-to-me houses. Its been fun. So we are back to square one. Lots of house showings on weekends and me looking at houses in the evenings. Once I get under contract again, I will be able to wrench again.
Buying a house was one of the most stressful things I have ever done. I do not look forward to doing it again.... you have my sympathy :icon_thumby: I don't even want to think about selling my house either.....

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Well, the 60 is mounted. It's solid, but it's where I want it. More pics later.

99 Mounty: Tons & 42s
97 Dually

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
thatll do. wheel it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals