• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st 302 ranger build!! All help appreciated

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I picked up a 1991 xlt ranger ext cab for a beater to drive with a 3.0 5spd about 8 months ago. Job changed and now I have a company truck. I've been doing tons of research and came to conclusion of building this boy out.

This is what I have to date:
-92 roller 5.0 bored .030, honed, decked
-Dart aluminum heads w/ double springs And larger valves
-eagle crank
-forged speed pro piston w/ 4 valve relief
-forged eagle rods
-Weiand stealth intake
-ford racing E cam & lifters (to start with)
-Crane 1.7 roller rockers
-comp hardened push rods
-hei distributer
-msd 6al ignition
-custom built 3 core aluminum radiator
-8.8 explorer rear with 3.73
-1997 m5od-r2 5spd with heavy duty clutch and fly wheel
-oil relocation kit
-Holley 750 carb

I'm at the point to start putting together as soon as I pick up my block from machine shop. I really need help with the wiring. I want all the wiring out that I can get out. Can any one give me some advice forwards wiring or my build?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

prymetime1

Reaction score
Hey man, looking fwd to seeing this build, has all the makes for a sweet street truck. The 750 carb might be alil big from what I've read for 302 based builds, but may work with your heads if they flow a ton. As far as wiring goes, u can pretty much cut everthing out minus your lights and get stuff to work. Depends on how much stock ish u want to function. I have my engine ignition separate from my stock ignition since I could not get start signal from my harness along with aftermarket gauges. Kept it simple. Keep us posted on the progress.

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man. I was reading your build and helped me a lot. Really liked what how you done your harness. Was wanting to keep as much stock as possible including gauges. I haven't been able to find much on that part. I can pretty much cut out anything that goes to the ecm right?

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Nice Truck!

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. It's definitely a work in progress but trying to get it perfect the first time.
Sanding and painting most of frame today and starting on the wire harness.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Thanks man. I was reading your build and helped me a lot. Really liked what how you done your harness. Was wanting to keep as much stock as possible including gauges. I haven't been able to find much on that part. I can pretty much cut out anything that goes to the ecm right?

Hey bud, thanks. This is my first build so I am learning as I go.
In order to make the stock gauges work, it'll def take some more time than I did. Having messed with the dash now, I think I would take it along with the interior harness completely out and reverse engineer it from there. Being that the guages are all electronic, ull probably have to keep some sensors and adapt to make work...not sure tho, maybe some pros will chime in.
Truck looks real clean.

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I pulled all the wiring and ac box to prep the engine bay today. I also pulled the tank, fuel lines and harness from the rear to clean and paint the rear of the frame.

So the next thing I'm going to do is run my fuel lines and electric fuel pump. I know I want to go with a fuel pump & regulator set up and delete my in tank pump but wasn't sure what pickup to use. If someone has an idea I would gladly appreciate it. Most likely going with the Holley blue pump/reg with stainless braided lines and AN fittings.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Nice progress bud. Are u planning to leave the stock fuel pump in tank?

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not wanting to but not sure how to make it work. I want to keep the stock sending unit for my gauges but want to eliminate the pump

prymetime1

Reaction score
As a heads up thought for this task and I am not sure how much it effects anything but the new fuel pump is a puller vs the old in tank pusher type. Will the tank feed from the stock unit work for the new fuel pump? I only ask since I thought about this when I did mine before opting for a cell set up.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
As a heads up thought for this task and I am not sure how much it effects anything but the new fuel pump is a puller vs the old in tank pusher type. Will the tank feed from the stock unit work for the new fuel pump? I only ask since I thought about this when I did mine before opting for a cell set up.
nope... been there done that.... the new pump won't pull threw the old pump.......

i think i took it apart and used a rubber hose inside of it with a hose clamp to get it to work(been about 8 years since i had 1 apart).... but if you are running Fuel Injection i would run it as it has enough psi to feed the 5.0 stock.... i took my apart for a carb setup...

Last edited:

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So is there a pick up tube that I can put in place of the actual pump to make it work?

prymetime1

Reaction score
So is there a pick up tube that I can put in place of the actual pump to make it work?

Jesse, pull the stock one and see how it's pick up works n modify from there...thinking u just need to tap into that feed line to your new f/p. Just make sure it's sitting on the bottom of the tank and definitely use a online gas filter.

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will do. Thanks guys. More to come in a few days

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals