• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Manual V8 Swap

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I briefly went over the long page that listed V8 swaps and what all was going into it. From what I understand I have the easiest truck that can do it? I'm looking for the absolute cheapest way to do it... Money isn't a huge issue, but this isn't my main driver. This is just an old sentimental truck I've always had and want to get my hands wet putting a V8 into it.

It's a 4.0 4x4 Manual transmission. And Im going to try and find a wrecked Explorer AWD with a V8 in it... Figured this would be the cheapest route? From what I understand I can take the automatic transmission and engine off the explorer and practically plug and play. I'm sure there's more to it then that... But guess the biggest questions I have is if going to the automatic transmission what's the consensus people use as far as what's goes over the stick shift hole and what not lol... And the exhaust stuff evidently I have to have some custom work done on that for it to fit? Pretty common for shops to do that? And what is a rough pricing on that.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Scettles:

You have the 2nd easiest starting point; auto version of same would be easiest. :)

If you are going Explorer auto, you want to swap in the Explorer brake pedal for the Ranger's clutch and brake; Explorer's steering column & gauges to get the auto shifter/indicator.

If it wasn't snowing, I would roll under my Ranger and confirm it, but I could swear Ford punched the cab floor for worst case (manual transmission and manual transfer case) for ALL cabs and then just used appropriate cover plates. So, find an automatic cover plate (theoretically, found in Explorer) and install. I have the Explorer's console installed so the holes in the carpet are hidden. (My truck wasn't a manual but there are holes from the OEM console).

I think all I had to do was add a 22" extension* to the pipes (Explorer's wb being 14" shorter than my s/c Ranger's + 4" expanded section at either end). I know, most of the pipes are stock Explorer. I just cut the pipe with a tubing cutter, put the extension in over my existing tubing and tightened up the pair of muffler clamps. I got the pipe for free, but then I had paid for the muffler shop to remove and reinstall the exhaust manifold bolts before I started the removal (I admit, I am a wimp about removing exhaust bolts on 15+ year old vehicles, but I just don't have the right tools, and that cost just seems worth it.)

*I think my extension is slightly longer and I cut a short section of existing pipe out, but as I got the extension when the shop did the exhaust bolts, and didn't have exact measurements, free and a little long seemed better than having to come back and pay for exactly right length pipe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals