• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ford Ranger 302 AWD swap runs great but front tires won't spin.

xdreamkustoms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So I did some searching and havent found anything on the forum about the reason my AWD system isn't working in my swap. I used a 98 Mountainer with every piece of the drivertrain and swap it into my 99 4X4 lifted ranger. The thing is a beast but in 2 inches of snow it gets its ass kicked and I have 33 inch tires on it. It seems that my transfer case or front differential isn't working correctly. My rear tires will throw snow for miles but front won't budge. Please tell me I'm just missing something simple. I replaced all the fluids and checked for anything physically wrong with the front end. Please someone help me. Also the 4WD hi and 4WD lo light flashes occasionally. Thanks for any advice.

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
98~2000.5 4x4 Ranger have the dreaded Pulse Vacuum Hublock system. In the factory configuration, the PVH hubs are commanded to engage whenever the GEM switches the transfer case to 4WD.

Either get the PVH system working with your new powertrain or convert to the live axle system found on 95~01 Explorer or 2000.5 and later Ranger.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That was a relief, I was afraid you were trying to spin them on pavement. As rwenzing said check out your PVH system. When the back tires are spinning in the snow but the front tires aren't do you know if the front drive shaft and axle shafts are spinning? If they are that would suggest the PVH as the guilty party. I'd just convert to the live axle system.

If anyone can help you get it straightened out rwenzing is the man. He's done more with these swaps than anyone else that I know of.

xdreamkustoms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I thought the front axle I pulled from the mountaineer was live. The only thing I didn't get was the PATS system from it I forgot the one behind the passenger air bag. I just bought a parts 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer Eddition AWD and was able to use the PATS system and ECU to finally get the truck to start and run. So you guys are saying I could be missing a main vacuum line down to my front differential not allowing it to engage? Is that the PVH system? Again I don't have the front diff/axle from the ranger in it. Thanks for the quick replies.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you swap out the whole front including the knuckles, hubs, and axle shafts (ones from the diff to the wheels)? Aside from the controls the PVH system is in the hubs, nothing in the differential itself. If you swapped the knuckles and all over to the explorer parts as well then you should have the live axles now.

If that were the case I would suspect the Ranger 4wd controls not playing well with the Explorer AWD transfer case. Was the explorer straight AWD or was it AWD/4WD? Some of the AWD explorers have a selector switch for auto and 4wd on the dash, I think all the switch does is manually lock in the front drive rather than allowing it to slip like the AWD setting does.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals