• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 B2 Duraspark Conversion

MRLUKE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
person that did the write up on duraspark conversion in this site did a great job! need help on the following quote:

"Plug #1) 2-Wire Duraspark type female round plug with a Red/Light Blue wire and Light Green wire going in. The Red/Light Blue wire has power in the START position.

Plug #2) 4-Wire Duraspark type female round plug. The 4-wires are:
2 - Purple/Orange wires - Power to the back-up lamp switch.
1 - Red/Light Blue Stripe wire - Part of cranking circuit with key in START position.
1 - Dark Blue wire - No longer used

Plug #3) Gray rectangle plug with a Red/Light Green wire. The Red/Light Green wire has power in the START & RUN position."

Which side of each plug do I use? The side closest to driver firewall, or side of plug leading to passenger side across the engine?

Last edited:

MRLUKE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Additionally, does the gray plug remain connected? I dont know why I am having such a tough time with this. I am bout ready to torch the engine and give up..

I cant get it to start. It cranks and cranks but no start. I must have the wiring hooked up wrong. USER ERROR

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you remove the computer and its wiring harness. Dont remove the grey 8wire plug you need the water temp oil pressure and alternator wires just strip that part of the harness back to the alternator and just cut the wires going to the computer. For your module the 4 wire connector three color to color to the dizzy and the green to the neg on the coil. The red lt green wire out of the firewall goes to the pos on the coil and red on the module and the red lt blue goes to the white wire on the module. The 4 wires coming up from the tranny control the o/d lockout and somthing else I dont have those wires someone else here will know what to do with them they have nothing to do with the ignition.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If your not using the stock coil you may need a ballast resistor going to the pos on the coil.

MRLUKE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the quick input and help! I really want this done, today. So, the wife gets off my dang back for working on the "stupid" truck. bought the ballas res built in kinda coil. major deal is prev ownr rewired his own jacked up ignition system before. he used ALL red 14g wiring. main questions are:

1. red/green wire from old comp, now goes to coil and red wire on module?
2. where does the neon green wire from original plug, with red/light blue wire, and which side do I use?
3. 2 red/light blue wires get spliced and run from which side? driver fender wall or large wiring harness?
4. should I pull the big white block that I just disconnected from the ECU thru the fire wall? its got 2 othe groups of wires coming off and going to their own plugs right before the big white plug into the ECU. What do I do with those? unwrap the rediculously useless wires and take those 6 or so wire and leave them behind?

I really appriciate all the help, I have been toying with this for much too long. time to go 4X4!

MRLUKE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
the diagram is great, it just doesnt specify which side of the plugs you should be using. the side that goes thru the drivers side firewall, or the side that goes to the ECU/big wiring harness.

also, the write up is hard to understand when it talks about what vaccum tubes yoiu use and what ones you dont. seems to mention hooking vaccum tube up to distributor from somewhere on the 2150 carb. i dont get it.:icon_confused:

SR185

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
You want to keep both sides of that 8-wire plug. The side leading towards the passenger compartment contains wires going to temp sensor, oil pressure, and alternator - you don't want to cut.

Look at the picture in post #15 of this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91664

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
That would be the wires from the firewall to the ecm red/ltgreen has power key on and red/ltblu has power in start position. just plug off all the vacuum lines not being used including the carb you want to hook the dizzy up to the tree or manifold vacuum.

MRLUKE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
wires from the firewall to the ECM, I totally dont understand/. Im not trying to be rude, but I need things explained a little more simple. Am I trying to use the noted wires from passenger to driver side, or all the wires between the driver side fire wall and cut them right before each of their plug? Im a visual learner, if the color diagram had listed where the wires came from(which side of each plug), I would get this in a snap.

Also, what is the "tree" and I thought in the other forums you had said completely take out all the vaccum stuff on the inside pass fender. btw, all my plastic colored vac lines are completely dry rotted. so, none of them can used and most were cut by the prev owner. Where is the manifold vaccum? Phx, AZ is seriously hot. at least 105 today.

Are there any pics u can draw, or just take pictures of where all the wiires start at(splice)? Im so frustrated and im sure u are about to stop helping me because I know too little. If I could find someone to do it for me, i would pay them. I thought it was easy, like doing a tune up or changing your oil, or fixing a broken power window.

SR185

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
I sent you a PM. I think I can help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals