• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Horse power differences between f150 and mustangs?

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got my 5.0 out of an f150 90-95 somewhere around that. I searched the horse power on a 5.0 f150 last night and everything i saw was between 140-180... but for a mustang it said between 210-260. So im just wondering if im getting bad information or if theres something i can change.
Im going to list what ive done so far.
uploadfromtaptalk1431630583708.png
uploadfromtaptalk1431630615211.jpg
I converted it from efi to carb, i got an edlebrock intake manifold and 650 four barrel edlebrock carb. I also got a new distributor that has the coil pack built into the cap. Next week ill be buying roller rockers a cam and a few other parts from this guy for 150. Ill probably just sell the cam and make the money back

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trucks were made for low down torque so built different than a Mustang. Highest rating of Mustang was 225 hp. You may see different HP rating of the Mustang but internally the same, reading taken at different RPM's Biggest difference is in the cams and ignition/fuel system, batch fire vs SFI. In '94' F150 did change to mass air. You going carb'd makes it all different.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to jet/rod down my 500CFM Edelbrock (1403) so prepare to do the same with your 650 (pretty big IMO for a 302)

If you intend to use your truck as a truck don't touch a thing. If you are going to race it look at HO/aftermarket stuff.

I was thrilled with my '87 Crown Vic engine, with the same cam as a F-150 and E6 heads it had awesome power down low. Everybody basically said "that thing is a dog, you need HO stuff" So I got greedy and slapped on E7 heads and poked in a HO cam. 4k rpm+ it does have quite a bit more power... but I rarely rev it that high. I don't have near the bottom end I had before though. :bawling:

It is still snappy, just not quite the stump puller it once was.

Last edited:

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had to jet/rod down my 500CFM Edelbrock (1403) so prepare to do the same with your 650 (pretty big IMO for a 302)

If you intend to use your truck as a truck don't touch a thing. If you are going to race it look at HO/aftermarket stuff.

I was thrilled with my '87 Crown Vic engine, with the same cam as a F-150 and E6 heads it had awesome power down low. Everybody basically said "that thing is a dog, you need HO stuff" So I got greedy and slapped on E7 heads and poked in a HO cam. 4k rpm+ it does have quite a bit more power... but I rarely rev it that high. I don't have near the bottom end I had before though. :bawling:

It is still snappy, just not quite the stump puller it once was.
What does jet/rod the carb mean? I dont really know much about carbs this will be my first carb set up.
And i will probably leave the cam as is. Dont really need to go past 100 in a lifted truck. Just sick of not beimg able to get past 65

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What does jet/rod the carb mean? I dont really know much about carbs this will be my first carb set up.
And i will probably leave the cam as is. Dont really need to go past 100 in a lifted truck. Just sick of not beimg able to get past 65
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoXK9tm0bWk

Edelbrock has a bunch of tuning/instal videos on youtube you will probably want to check out.

You have to buy a kit with new springs, rods and jets, it was about $50 when I got mine.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best to find out what year that motor is before spending more money on it. Pre 94, they had really crappy cams in them and might be a flat tappet, not roller. Even the later motors wouldn't be able to use that big a carb. Like 85_Ranger said, even a 500 could be too much. I had a 465 cfm Holly spread bore on stock 302 and it ran great. Last year of a carb on a Mustang, they only had a 585 cfm.
Dave

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Problem solved lol got a bigger cam that uses 351 timing, new lifters, rocker rollers, and 2 chain timing gears. Ive learn alot since i posted this

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I got my 5.0 out of an f150 90-95 somewhere around that. I searched the horse power on a 5.0 f150 last night and everything i saw was between 140-180... but for a mustang it said between 210-260. So im just wondering if im getting bad information or if theres something i can change.
Im going to list what ive done so far.
View attachment 18401
View attachment 18402
I converted it from efi to carb, i got an edlebrock intake manifold and 650 four barrel edlebrock carb. I also got a new distributor that has the coil pack built into the cap. Next week ill be buying roller rockers a cam and a few other parts from this guy for 150. Ill probably just sell the cam and make the money back
The only parts different here between the HO and the F150 motor was the cam and the upper/lower intakes. The 94-97 motor for the trucks got a better cam which was only slightly different in specs on the intake side compared to the HO cam 20* less duration and .030 less lift there, the exhaust lobes are the same. The 92-93 truck motor had the smaller Crown Vic roller cam. Both the truck/van and Stang 5.0's had the same block, crank, rods, pistons, heads and timing set. The Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0's also used the truck roller cam. They were rated at 210 HP if I recall, even with the crappy exhaust manifolds those came with, so the 94-95 truck/van 5.0 wasn't far behind in power. Bolt a set of 1.7 Cobra rockers on the truck motor and that evens out any difference in HP.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and don't let anyone tell you that eddy 650 is too big. Eddy's are rated differently compared to a Holley. As long as it's a vacuum secondary carb, the motor will only use what it wants as far as the secondaries go. Will a smaller carb perform better ? Yep, but you'll only notice that in the bottomend response. It'll feel snappier than a bigger vac sec carb, but the bigger carb will still work. I've run a 750 Holley 3310 carb on a roller 5.0 and it performed fine. I've also run a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl on 302's which is half of a 750 DP Holley.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and don't let anyone tell you that eddy 650 is too big. Eddy's are rated differently compared to a Holley. As long as it's a vacuum secondary carb, the motor will only use what it wants as far as the secondaries go. Will a smaller carb perform better ? Yep, but you'll only notice that in the bottomend response. It'll feel snappier than a bigger vac sec carb, but the bigger carb will still work. I've run a 750 Holley 3310 carb on a roller 5.0 and it performed fine. I've also run a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl on 302's which is half of a 750 DP Holley.
I just replaced the cam and added roller rockers so it should be good with the carb. I dont know much but im learning as i go. But the new valve covers dont have an oil fill spot, any ideas on what i can do about that?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
But the new valve covers dont have an oil fill spot, any ideas on what i can do about that?
:icon_confused: Looks like the driver's side has a filler hole to me.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused: Looks like the driver's side has a filler hole to me.
Will it dump into the breather hole without over flowing? Thats what i was worried about

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes. But Also depends on what you call "dumping it" in. Should pour in without trouble though. What cam did you put in it ? What cam did you pull out ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals