• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with diagnosis

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 4.0 with 225k miles on her. She’s been a good truck and now I’ve gotten good little chirp/squeak coming from the engine unfortunately i won’t be able to really get a good idea what’s up until i have some free time and look the old gal over. But what’s going on is in this cold and rain it’s making a noise similar to this “https://youtu.be/3_CNKbcZeEc” even though that truck is a 3.0. Regardless the second the engine gets warmed up and hot. It goes away and all i have is a little lifted tic and that’s it. I’m thinking the belt and or tensionor is Shot. Any ideas thanks guys

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When engine is cold remove belt from crank and start up the engine
You can run cold engine for 2 min without water pump

That will confirm if it is belt or tensioner
While belt is off, and there was no noise, spin each pulley by hand, you will feel or hear if a bearing is failing

3.0l can get squeaking from Cam Synchronizer at top rear of engine

Serpentine belts can "glaze" the pulleys.
When a belt gets older it will slip on a pulley making the noise, and each time it slips it "glazes", or polishes, that pulley surface.
So you replace the old belt and still have some noise because pulleys are "glazed"

Pulley and belt need friction, smooth is good but slick is bad, so use emory cloth or paint the pulleys, to get back some grip

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

While belt is off, and there was no noise, spin each pulley by hand, you will feel or hear if a bearing is failing

When a belt gets older it will slip on a pulley making the noise, and each time it slips it "glazes", or polishes, that pulley surface.
So you replace the old belt and still have some noise because pulleys are "glazed"

Pulley and belt need friction, smooth is good but slick is bad, so use emory cloth or paint the pulleys, to get back some grip

Thanks i have some belt friction at home i would use on tires at the strip. I’ll shoot a couple of drips on it and see what happens

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I shot some belt tac on the belt and oh man it got Loud af lol. It’s definitely the belt or the Tensioner

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals