• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Red Tek R12 recharge kit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone use the RED TEK R12a Refrigerant Recharge Kithttp://www.amazon.com/RED-TEK-R12a-Refrigerant-Recharge/dp/B00DJDYORU

I have a '93 that i may try this on. i figure it's now working now and i'm not gonna spend a lot of money to get this working. so if this works, great, if not, well it didnt work before. Just wondering about anyone else's experience with this kit.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So is gasoline.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I don't know about you, but I don't want anything flammable in my engine compartment. :annoyed:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stop filling you tank with gasoline then.

My point being that not all flammables are excessively dangerous. I believe that all refrigerants in use are flammable, but could be very mistaken on that.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Stop filling you tank with gasoline then.

My point being that not all flammables are excessively dangerous. I believe that all refrigerants in use are flammable, but could be very mistaken on that.

I guess I should have been a little more sarcastic in my response.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Propane makes an excellent refrigerant :)

the issue with highly flammable refrigerant is that it is under pressure... sometimes 200 to 300+PSI in running condition. if you leak, and you have a sparkplug wire wire that is grounding out/ shorting that could make your life more interesting.

The reason that *I* would not use that stuff is because no shop will touch your a/c system once you convert over to any kind of blend, or if they do it will cost you...those blends will contaminate their recovery and R12/ R134a supply.

Granted, you might be just going for getting it nice and cold on a budget and this truck will probably never see a shop (at least for a/c) again in its life, but it still limits you in what you can do if this stuff doesnt work out, and if you do want to convert to R134a you will have the R12 and R12a blend that you have to purge from the system..

for a truck as old as yours, i would go ahead and replace the hoses with new barrier type hoses that will work with 134a, replace the condenser (or flush the living hell out of it... time consuming and a pain, I have been there when I rebuilt my a/c) and replace *all* of your o-rings. take the compressor out and get as much of the oil out of it as you can and put some r134 AND r12 compatible oil in it. be sure to flush the evaporator coil as well.

then replace the accumulator/ dryer and orifice tube and put it all back together again and put the R134a retrofit valves on.

pull a vacuum on it for an hour or so and refill with R134a. if you do it right, you will probably have cold a/c for the rest of your trucks life :)

check this write up on resurrecting your a/c:
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144542

This is for a straight R134a system, no retrofitting, but the principles hold for your truck as well. just remember you will need to change the oil out to a type of oil that is compatible with both R12 and R134a. PAG oil will sludge your system up.. Do some research and you should be good to go.

AJ

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't know that hydrocarbon based refrigerants like Redtek and ES12 etc. were still being sold in the US. I remember reading about them a few years ago.

PAG oil will only sludge a system up there are still traces of R12 in it since the two aren't compatible. To be on the safe side I wouldn't use is on a retrofitted system unless you are certain that all traces of R12 have been flushed/cleaned out.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
in a retro fit A/C system you should use ester oil NOT Pag because of comparability with r134 and r12 also ester oil mixes with any residual mineral oil in system...

you still need to flush system however.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Propane makes an excellent refrigerant :)

the issue with highly flammable refrigerant is that it is under pressure... sometimes 200 to 300+PSI in running condition. if you leak, and you have a sparkplug wire wire that is grounding out/ shorting that could make your life more interesting.

The reason that *I* would not use that stuff is because no shop will touch your a/c system once you convert over to any kind of blend, or if they do it will cost you...those blends will contaminate their recovery and R12/ R134a supply.

Granted, you might be just going for getting it nice and cold on a budget and this truck will probably never see a shop (at least for a/c) again in its life, but it still limits you in what you can do if this stuff doesnt work out, and if you do want to convert to R134a you will have the R12 and R12a blend that you have to purge from the system..

for a truck as old as yours, i would go ahead and replace the hoses with new barrier type hoses that will work with 134a, replace the condenser (or flush the living hell out of it... time consuming and a pain, I have been there when I rebuilt my a/c) and replace *all* of your o-rings. take the compressor out and get as much of the oil out of it as you can and put some r134 AND r12 compatible oil in it. be sure to flush the evaporator coil as well.

then replace the accumulator/ dryer and orifice tube and put it all back together again and put the R134a retrofit valves on.

pull a vacuum on it for an hour or so and refill with R134a. if you do it right, you will probably have cold a/c for the rest of your trucks life :)

check this write up on resurrecting your a/c:
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144542

This is for a straight R134a system, no retrofitting, but the principles hold for your truck as well. just remember you will need to change the oil out to a type of oil that is compatible with both R12 and R134a. PAG oil will sludge your system up.. Do some research and you should be good to go.

AJ

yes what he said just didnt have lots of time to go into long post...:icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
just so i would know how much a shop could do this for i took it in. 409.56, I paid 500.00 for the truck so that's not happening, anyway i started looking at this more seriously. They said my compressor was good so i'll replace the accumulator, which i didnt know was so cheap, take the compressor out and dump the oil, change the o-rings and any other part i'll need and get a vacuum pump and manifold gauges.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ordered my parts today. both hoses, accumulator, orifice tube, o-rings, nylog, also got gauges and a vacuum pump. I ended up spending 300.00 including refrigerant, oil, adapters, and everything i needed. in the end, i wont save a lot, but i dont think the shop was going to replace the hoses, also the gauges and pump cost 95.00 alone.

Dang! i just thought. i should have ordered parts for a 95 ranger, that way the connectors would be 134 already right? oh well, i'll just use the retrofit adapters.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals