• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help ID'ing parts

misak1914

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Greetings all,

Can someone tell me what these two parts are? The first picture is of some sort of grounding wire on the left side of the engine. I have no idea what it plugs into. There is another grounding wire on this side attaches to the negative terminal on the battery. The second and third photos are of this thing that screws into the right side of the engine block above the oil pan. I went to my local AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts and they were clueless. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The ground wire bolts to outside of your frame, and then goes to the battery. Not sure on the plug, but it's just grounding whatever it pluges into. I would replace that cable. Looks pretty bad.

The part in the block looks like a sensor of sorts, maybe an Oil Level sensor or Oil Pressure sensor. Looks like you have a 2.8, which I am unfamiliar with.

Here is a pic of the Oil Pressure Switch courtesy of RockAuto.com

Last edited:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1st pick should be ground wire to batt. 2nd pic looks like a broken oil sender. Thats my guess of the day.

tmar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
does 2.8 have 'knock sensor'. if so, could be that. 2.9 knock sensor located dr side of block

misak1914

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info so far. My engine is a 2.8L. However, the photos you suggested are what the parts stores brought up on their terminals, but the pictures do match what the actual part I have. (Resubmitting a close up of the part.) I'll check the Autozone website to see if it could be a knock sensor.

Also, when I pulled this engine, it had two grounding straps. One goes to the battery, but the other has the head cut off and is corroded. Any other ideas?

Attachments

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I don't list a Knock Sensor for the 2.8, so I don't what else it could be besides the Oil Pressure Switch..what color wire(s) were running to it? That would help find out what it is.

Looks like someone replaced the ground cable with a new one and bolted it elsewhere on the block. Either way, it's just a ground and needs to bolt to your block, frame and then to the battery.

You can never have too many grounds...:icon_thumby:

misak1914

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I bought this vehicle months back, the guy used this truck as a beater and ripped out most of the "unessential" wires from under the hood. So I'm flying blind here. This forum is great. Most of the questions I've had have already been answered in the previous posts. Thanks again.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can never have too many grounds...:icon_thumby:
I learned that the hard way. My truck sat for a month while I was trying to figure that out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree with everything said about the grounds. Too much power, you can have that, but too much ground? No such thing.

As for the other item, that's a good question.... It's too high to be an oil level sensor, it's too low to be a knock sensor, It's the right level for an oil pressure sensor, but it doesn't look right for that.... so by process of elimination, I have no clue.

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
oil pressure sender with out the wire post.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as far as the ground thing goes you can never have too much, in the big stereo game the first thing upgraded is the "big three" or "big four" alternator to battery pos cable, bat. to frame gnd, frame to engine block gnd, and/or alt frame to engine block gnd.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals