• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PS Pump Noise Through Upgraded Steering Shaft

Eric H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
For those who have upgraded their intermediate steering shaft to a non-rag joint type like flaming river, borgeson, etc - Have you had any problems with the whine/noise from the power steering pump traveling up the shaft into the cab?

I just put a borgeson telescoping shaft with u joints in and although it feels great, I'm hearing the PS pump through the steering wheel when I turn and the pump is working... Perhaps this was dampened by the rubber rag joints on the old shaft.

Thoughts/experiences?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I can see that noise being dampened a lot by a rubber joint. Rubber doesn't telegraph noise like metal will.

I know noise from that style pump is somewhat normal, but it shouldn't be that bad. Maybe your pump is getting worn out.

Eric H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I've thought about replacing the pump, but don't know if it's really necessary. It seems to work fine, although they're not very expensive so I may just do it.

On a side note, how tight can the steering get on these trucks?
I've been on a marathon replacing steering parts in an effort to get rid of the play in my steering -

Upper and Lower Ball Joints - MOOG
Inner and Outer Tie Rods - MOOG
Superlift Drop Pitman Arm
Reman. Gear Box - Redhead Steering
Upgraded Steering Shaft - Borgeson

Definitely helped, but theres still a couple inches of play in my steering...

Are there any wearable parts further up from the steering shaft to the steering wheel?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Play within the steering gear box is pretty common on these trucks. You said you already replaced it, however I would check anyway to see if there is any rotational input to the box without a corresponding movement of the sector shaft (have someone turn the wheel slightly while you watch it). If this is the case, you may be able to eliminate the play by adjusting the meshload (bolt w/locknut on top) a little tighter (just be careful not to overdo it and bind up the box). Otherwise I would suggest exchange it for another one (problems like that in reman'ed products are not uncommon).

As for the vibration, it's probably something to be expected. I still have the factory rag joints on mine and I can feel the pump vibrations a little bit in the wheel when working it under a load. Without any rag joints at all I can see how vibration traveling up the column shaft would increase many-fold.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
gm box, gm pump and swingset steering.

only way to make it handle like a car.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
back in the old days..the aerostar linkage actually reduced the feedback in my case. and made the steering better.

but you really have to play with these and live with tire wear to have the type of steering your wanting with the way they were built in stock form...which is garbage if you want it to be precise like a car..

I have had 3 styles of pump...and 5 styles of steering gear and not sure how many link configurations all on the same truck from stock dana 28 to dana 60's with 44 inch tires..

best setup was 2wd chevy box with Saginaw pump and crossover steering with a dead match trac-bar on a rear shackle leaf sprung dana 60....by miles.

now I run a otr ford box with hard jeep steering shaft...no trac bar, on leafs with front shackles and its as vague over center as a normal ttb...and about as responsive as an oil tanker. but I just live with it. keeps me awake.

10 minutes in my rig and you will think yours handles like a new vette:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals