• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vehicle inspection

mosinutty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L - 2.8L - 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, new to the forum and to Bronco 2's.

I purchased an 89 model 4x4 today. It starts and runs fine. I did notice the automatic transmission is a bit slugish on take off. Would it be a good idea to service the transmission or should I check the fluid and leave it alone? I noticed a service sticker in the windshield were the motor oil has been recently changed. As far as the transfer case and running gear, should I drain and replace the gear oil? What else would be item's I should check?
It was raining today when I picked it up from the previous owner. The windshield is spiderwebed in the center and I noticed the floor board on the passenger side had standing water and the headliner was wet at the front edge along the windshield. I'm guessing the windshield seal is leaking. I called a local auto glass repair buisness today and they priced a new windshield at $250.00 installed. The valve covers and power steering are weeping oil so I will tackle that this weekend. Thanks in advance for any help!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
First and best thing to do to any used car is all fluids and filters. Oil, trans, t-case, gear lube, coolant. Check the DOT codes on the tires, if they are older than 5 years, I'd get new ones. Belts and hoses are a good idea too.

Check the front end over good, jack it up, rock the tires up and down, side to side, etc, look for play in everything.

mosinutty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L - 2.8L - 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, Is the drain plug on the transmission accessible. Or would I be better served taking it and having it flushed?

1989Bii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You'll have to suck the fluid through the dipstick hole, or you could take the transmission pan down and leave one bolt in it so you can slowly pour the fluid out. You should probably check the rear window seals also, mine were leaking but I put a clean bead of silicone on it and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

mosinutty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L - 2.8L - 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I checked the rear window seals and they are good to go. Finnaly quit raining today, I put a tarp over the front glass yesterday to keep the rain water from leaking in. I have my windshield ordered and will have it installed Saturday. Can't wait to get it licensed Friday and drive around a bit. Then I will get busy on the valve cover gaskets this weekend.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
drain the transmission and make sure you inspect the bottom of the pan for any strange substance. replace the filter.
I had mine flushed a couple of years ago and everything was good. no metal, gasket material or other stuff that wasnt suppose to be there.
you have to decide if you want to flush it or not. I have heard of bad things happening with high mileage a4lds happening after a flush. sometimes a little sludge is our friend.

mosinutty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L - 2.8L - 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks b2, That's what I'm concerned about. I'm afraid a flush will cause issues. What would a rebuild on the transmission cost me if I do run into problems?

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
I just went thru a paranoia period.
Thought my transmission was going to have to be replaced. Shopped around and the price was 2200 - 3200 installed. I think you can get a rebuild for about 1800. You have to decide if you want to go that route.
Most everybody would tell you to go with the m5od, which is a good idea. There is a good write up in the tech section.
Oh, my transmission turned out to not be. It was a rotor cap, rotor issue.

My tranny was flused because no foreign material was found in the bottom of the pan.

Last edited:

mosinutty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L - 2.8L - 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well I spent all weekend working on the old girl. Had a new windshield installed, Changed the oil and filter, replaced the valve cover gaskets, plugs, plug wires, and replaced a leaking power steering hose. I had some trouble with the passenger side upper rear valve cover bolt. Not much room to work with the distributor laying on top of the bolt. I couldn't get the bolt started so I removed the cover to try and start the bolt to make sure the threads and gasket were OK. I was already beyond frustrated and in my ignorance I dropped the bolt into the head! I was sick, closed the hood and quit for the night. The next morning I went to town and picked up a telescopic magnet and mirror. I was happy to see that the bolt was laying deep in the head but within reach. I fished it out, put it together and went for a Sunday drive. I've noticed that I'm getting a puff of oil smoke from the exhaust on my first start that I didn't have before I serviced it. Valve seals? Why would I be seeing this now and not before I serviced?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals