• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift Help, With 90 B2

Hotrods N Harleys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking for some experienced help. My son just purchased a Rough Country 4" lift, a PA 3" body lift, and a set of Exploder rear leafs. Our problem is that we live an hour away from any good 4x4 shops, so when we start on this I just want to make sure we have everything we're gonna need. I know we need to get a pair of rear spring bolts for an Exploder, but what about the front spring bolts? Will factory Expl, bolts work front and rear or just rear? Is there anything else I am missing? Also I was thinking about adding some spring spacers to the front for some additional lift, what does it take to do that? I have read through a lot of threads, but most are not real specific, so I thought if anybody had already done these exact lifts it would be better. Thanx for any help you can give us, we need a lot.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
i have the rough country 4in lift on mine. it will come with everything you need MINUS the brake line extensions. there is a part number somewhere here on the forum that you can buy and will solve this easily. (hopefully someone will chim in.

as for the spring bolts, i assume you mean the center pin/bolt that holds the leafs together? yes you should get new ones and flip them because the explorer was a spring under axle, and not a spring over axle like our b2's/rangers. and these center pins are not vehicle specific. just get one thats not too short for your leaf pack.

your front suspension is a coil setup, therefore you don't have the same issue. the rough country lift will come with new 4in lift coils that replace your stock coils. make sure the new pitman arm goes on exactly the same as your old one comes off. otherwise your steering wheel will be off like you just had a bad alignment.

the spacers up front shouldn't be needed but you will have to put everything together and let it settle for a few days of driving to really see if you want more or not.

might want to read on the "drop plate" style pivot bracket on the rough country. it can cause a hole in the top of the front diff if flexed to hard. just something to keep in mind.

hope all works well for ya. take lots of pictures for us!

Hotrods N Harleys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys. I wasn't specific enough on the leaf spring bolts though. I heard that I needed to use Explorer bolts for the rear shackle to spring bolts, but I wasn't sure about the spring to hanger bolts on the front of the leaf springs. Can I just buy grade 8 bolts from the hardware stores? Thanx again.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys. I wasn't specific enough on the leaf spring bolts though. I heard that I needed to use Explorer bolts for the rear shackle to spring bolts, but I wasn't sure about the spring to hanger bolts on the front of the leaf springs. Can I just buy grade 8 bolts from the hardware stores? Thanx again.
i haven't heard of that. i used my b2 bolts both front and back. the explorer leaf is exactly the same measurements as the b2 leaf. just a bit thicker due to the extra weight of the explorer. it should sit a bit higher and ride a bit more rough tan with the b2 leaves as well

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
BII bolts will work fine on the explorer leafs. But buying new grade 8 bolts isn't a bad idea. The Explorer leafs should give you 2" of lift or so, so the back may sit lower than the front, unless you're getting extended shackles or blocks.

The lift kit should come with everything you need on the front, bolts and all. Have fun with the rivets.

Did the lift come with a drop pitman arm? The main issue with lifting these TTB's is the steering angle..
Steering link for you
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

Brake lines can be found here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ReplacementBrakeLine_Front.html

7" of lift is pretty high for a BII, are you going to run swaybars? Just be careful not to roll it..

You can put a spacer or washers under the front coil for more lift, but why? 7" is pretty high and adding spacers will just further fawk up your steering angle. Washers are the cheaper and safer option, can be found here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/WasherCoilSpacers.htm

What size tires are you planning on running? 35"s? If so, you better look into some 4.56 or 4.88 gearing, that little 2.9 will have a hell of a time moving those tires. Also, do you have the Dana 35 or Dana 28? The Dana 28 will not be happy with 35"s..
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_Front_Axles.html

Stolen from this thread:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57014

Last edited:

Hotrods N Harleys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Thanx for the help!! The kit came with the pitman arm, and the drop sway bar bracket. I'm hoping I don't have to use the washers but I don't know yet. It has a D35 in the front, and I have the Explorer 8.8 for the rear, but I am gonna start looking for some 4.56's for them as soon as my son can save more money. I'm also waiting for the junk yard to get me a good donor 4.0. We have a set of 35" BF Muds ready to slap on it, as soon as we get it lifted. It's gonna be fun working on it with my sons. I really appreciate your guys's help. I enjoy this site, we have learned alot.(and we haven't even gotten started yet) I'm sure we'll have more questions to come. Thanx again

Hotrods N Harleys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What about the drive shafts? Do they need to be lengthened? Or the angles adjusted?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
4.56 gears ain't even close to enough to keep the 2.9L happy with 35s, 5.13 would be a lot better (even if you're swapping in a 4.0L, it's a bit of a toss-up between 4.88 and 5.13... Go with 5.13 if it's going to spend a lot of time on the trail, 4.88 for a highway cruiser).

As for driveshafts, the front will be fine. It's a different story with that rear dual-CV thing though. Best is to replace it with a double-cardan u-jointed one. The dual CV one just doesn't tolerate the increased angle a lift would put on it very well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals