• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Work light flood light?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I do a lot of work after work in the summers, sometimes going after dark. I have been looking for some spots or floods for the front of the truck, planning to mount them to the bull bar, but I haven't found anything I like so far.

Then I was on the Snappy truck Friday and I was looking over an LED work light there when suddenly I couldn't see anymore because someone turned it on.

Then the Snappy guy said it only took 30 amps to run her, and I got to thinking. You can give something all the AC voltage you want, but if it's an LED power is only going to flow one way. And 30 amps isn't that much, not if the engine is running and nothing else is on.

So anyway, does anyone think I could get away with mounting this thing to the bull bar of my truck and wiring it in to her electrical system?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271401184103?lpid=82

I know there is probably an AC/DC converter in there somewhere that would have to be bypassed, but beyond that, it should work just fine, right?

The only obstacle after that is setting it up to be easily removed, or setup something to protect the lens well so that it doesn't get torn up driving.

Input?

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Nice Light. It is 30 watts not 30 amps. Could probably use a small DC to AC converter.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Also, there are tons of 12 volt LED work lights out there...

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The ebay light sold for $78 but I see the point he's making, if you're going to pay $57 for a flood light, might as well get a bar since they can be had for pretty cheap.

dragogt

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Correct, by time you buy the work light and a power inverter to run it you're in the price range of a light bar that is more useful..

Don't get me wrong I have an inverter in my truck as well and it does come in handy every so often but as a primary nah, I think the light bar will be better...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just sold a pair of new LED flood lights for $75 a pop, far less draw than the halegon bulbs they replaced and they are a lot brighter. And unlike a lightbar you can aim them (one off each corner of the tractor cab)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals