• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch?

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a few questions about my clutch. #1 the clutch peddle grabs at about 2 inches from the top, how much clutch life do you say i have left? #2 The main rear seal leaks a little bit. Every once in a while i smell a little burning oil (i believe from this) how big of a job is it to replace it? & is it worth replacing the clutch and possibly the slave cylinder at the same time? is it something I can do in a weekend? or possible afternoon?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
can't really tell about clutch life through a hydraulic pedal. How many miles on the clutch? When you pull the tranny inspect the clutch/pressure plate/bearings and you'll know for sure.

A weekend is no problem if you have the parts. If you're experienced you can do it in like 4-5 hrs.

I'm sure othere people on here will say how they've done it in 1 hour or something, but just take your time and do it right. Give yourself the whole weekend to make sure you have time in case something else comes up. Better to do it right the first time than the second. :)

Last edited:

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
its definitely something you can do in a weekend.. i highly recommend changing the slave while you change the clutch since their internal an its one less thing you have to worry about down the road. its hard to tell with a hydraulic system. as stated how many miles are on it?

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
If you're experienced you can do it in like 4-5 hrs.
i HATE everyone on this site that does not have to deal with rust.

if you live in a very rust prone area like i do, plan on a FULL day even if you are skilled.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you live in the rust belt you can run into all manner of unforseen issues. Mainly things that will either not come apart or sheer as soon as you show them a wrench.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
its not a bad job to do in a weekend. make sure you got an extra pair of hands when you take the trans out and when you put it back in. as mentioned before, if you have the funds, replace the slave cylinder with the clutch because you will save yourself alot of grief by guaranteeing that you have new parts and you wont have to do this procedure again in 500 miles. as for the rear main seal, im not sure on the 2.5l if you need to drop the pan to replace this or if you can pick it out of there with the trans out and then pop in a new one. but if you arent going to fix the seal then dont bother dropping the trans to replace your clutch becuase youll just be oil soaking a new clutch disc.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
The rear main seal is just a press fit. Just take a screw, tap it in, screw a few threads and pull the seal out. Then algin and tap the new seal in.

My suggestion is to replace everything in the bellhousing. No sensing in going back in for something later.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i HATE everyone on this site that does not have to deal with rust.

if you live in a very rust prone area like i do, plan on a FULL day even if you are skilled.

haha sorry 86, I live in cali. Even still my 92 was at the beach for about 10 years of it's life, so damn rusty that the door was about ready to fall off. still all the tranny bolts came right out. The 2 up top were a royal pain but they came out. Couldn't get the exhaust off so i just pulled the flywheel and slid the tranny back just enough to replace everything while it was up there.
Like I said though give it a full weekend incase of unforseen problems. :)

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
yep, those upper bolts are a pain. when i did my 2.3l i thought it was a struggle, but ford left me even less room on my 3.0l. if everything goes smooth and i dont have too many extra hands trying to help/ distract me by asking what do you want me to do next, i can do the procedure in about 3-4 hours depending on how close i can get the trans to motor alignment on the first try. i wish i had a hoist, but two ramp stands and a creeper leave just enough room to get under and still be avle to slide the trans out form under the rocker panel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals