• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l engine sputtering problems

DRZ122792

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:The truck is a 1988 ranger xlt 4x4 2.9l. At least once a day it will randomly start sputtering, like a miss fire, loss alot of power and blow black smoke out the back. i have already done a tune up, plugs, wires, cap&rotor. Also replaced on the truck recently was a distributor, coil, and fuel filter. i've been trying to fix this problem for over a year and with having to do a lot of highway driving for school, the huge loss in power makes it difficult and very annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and ill try to respond to questions every night.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
replaced the TFI module? any clicking noises?

jakubek1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have the same problem
also when my engine is warm the oil pressure drops on idle

All that started after i sunk my car

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i have the same problem
also when my engine is warm the oil pressure drops on idle

All that started after i sunk my car
oilpressure always drops on idle when the engine is warm, the oil is thinner and there's less resistance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
:icon_confused:The truck is a 1988 ranger xlt 4x4 2.9l. At least once a day it will randomly start sputtering, like a miss fire, loss alot of power and blow black smoke out the back. i have already done a tune up, plugs, wires, cap&rotor. Also replaced on the truck recently was a distributor, coil, and fuel filter. i've been trying to fix this problem for over a year and with having to do a lot of highway driving for school, the huge loss in power makes it difficult and very annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and ill try to respond to questions every night.
And if you put it in N and cycle the key really fast it dies, fires back up, and runs fine for a while, right?

Oxygen sensor.

That's true, but my oil level light comes on
So add some oil. :icon_thumby:

If your oil level is correct and your oil pressure is correct (do a mechanical pressure test) get it nice and hot, put 5 qts of diesel fuel in the oil, let it set (NOT RUNNING) for a few hours, and then change the oil. Probably crap stuck in the level sensor.

jakubek1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's true, but my oil level light comes on
So add some oil. :icon_thumby:

If your oil level is correct and your oil pressure is correct (do a mechanical pressure test) get it nice and hot, put 5 qts of diesel fuel in the oil, let it set (NOT RUNNING) for a few hours, and then change the oil. Probably crap stuck in the level sensor.
That's so true. i don't know why would i think that oil level light got something to do with oil pressure... stupid me lol :icon_twisted:

Also
my engine sputters when warm but it's not smoking, could it still be the o2 sensor??

Last edited:

DRZ122792

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have replaced the TFI about a month ago with no change. Also the trucks a manual and there is no change if its in N or not.

Im starting to think iether injectors or a problem with the computer.

DRZ122792

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also tested and replaced the o2 sensor just to b safe

DRZ122792

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No the new O2 sensor didnt help the problem at all. Im going to pull codes tomorrow again to see if anything changed and will post the codes.

jakubek1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i unpluged o2 sensor, the engine doesn't sputter anymore.
today ill put a new sensor in

DRZ122792

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did your truck have any codes before you replaced the O2 sensor cause mine has none :icon_confused:

jakubek1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did your truck have any codes before you replaced the O2 sensor cause mine has none :icon_confused:
I tried pulling codes with test light but nothing showed up, it didn't even turn the light on for a second... maybe i did something wrong :icon_confused:

also i didn't change the sensor yet, i found out that one of the wires was cut, i pluged the old sensor back in and hooked up the cut wire.
after doing that I noticed it was sputtering for a bit after starting the engine but once it ran abit i seemed fine.

it was fine for couple of days ,but then today i was on a highway and the car started loosing power again... :annoyed:

It's a mind f***

dirtybird62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeppers, mine has done that for years ! I would forget about since It's my 3rd vehicle, but it would lose power and I'd check the mirror for the black smoke then it clears up and runs fine for days/weeks. ....When I flooded the cab crossing a river in 1988 with the truck it had the same syptoms with a bad computer. Warranty replaced back then and was fine for many,many years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals