• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flipping a front mount reciever

camoman5392

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey guys
i have a 2000 ranger with a 3" body lift, and i just got a rugged ridge winch for it. i wanted to mount it as high as possible to lessen the chance of it going for a swim. with that said, can i take a regular front mount reciever, and flip it so it sits on top of the frame in stead of under it? those hidden hitches looked like they mounted pretty flush but apparently no longer being made.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did that on my '85 b-II, these are pics from my prototyping stage. I picked up a universal receiver for C$35.00 at Princess Auto [Canadian Harbor Freight] I've since finished welding them and they are still removable;

Unfortunately my winch got 'BORROWED' and I haven't had a chance to test the receiver yet. I'm going to build a custom bumper for it. In your case having the receiver on hand and doing measuring to see if it will fit with the stock bumper would be essential to a good looking job.Personally, I don't care about looks too much.
Good luck,

Richard

camoman5392

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ya thats what i was imagining. i plan on cutting a 3x3" hole in the front bumper where the winch plate would slide through. it has a liscence plate bracket tho so i could hide it easy enough. now i just gotta find a place with some heavy gauge wire cheap so i can run the plugs to the back too and ill be all set

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought ends that fit from the manufacturer ~ C$80.00. Found out since that I can get the same ends from a electrical supply house for ~ C$30.00. The wire I'll use is salvaged power line wire and will be hard wired in place. It can carry more voltage and current than the battery can supply so I think I'll be good. Or use heavy duty jumper cable. This should get the power to the back with no problems.
Good luck,

Richard

camoman5392

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i was thinking about using some of the plugs the sell for rv's. they're pretty common, so i wouldnt have to worry about finding a replacement if i ever broke em.

the heaviest cable ive found is 4 gauge. idk where you got the power line lol, but is there any way i can find some or was that just a lucky chance there?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was lucky. Try a welding supply company for welding cable. You could look at extension cords for welders as well.

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals