• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finding a good transmission

drew.hinds10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
So I'm doing a 302 swap into my 93 Ranger XLT 4x4, I want to keep it manual and keep it 4x4. I know everybody points in the direction of a c6 but I absolutely hate automatics, I think they shouldn't even exist tbh. Anyways, I'm thinking probably an M5R2 with a matching t case out of an f150. A local scrap yard told me if I find a truck out there with one and pull it myself I can have it for $100. I'd probably put new synchros and what not in it before I use it. BUT, I want to know if there's a better option for around the same money. I'm looking at about $500 in the tranny and t case all together, I have no problem rebuilding them myself because I'm pretty good at that kind of stuff. Any thoughts?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For a trans there aren't many better options, as I understand it. The M5R2 puts most things right where they need to be. As for the t-case, beats me, IIRC the NP205 is popular, but he 4406 was too wide. But I'm a V6 guy, so WTF do I know.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
The C-6 is a hp pig. I run one with a Dana 20 T-Case, but I also run a 347 stroker. Find a C-4 and a Dana 20 case (found in most early model ford 1/2 ton and Broncos). I think it was the TK5 that a lot of folks went with for the 5 spd and use your old T-case (need an adapter though). The adapter for my 20 to C-6 , from Advanced Adapters was pricey.

drew.hinds10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
No I'm gonna stay away from automatic, hate em. Will never build anything with one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals