• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger engine swap question (advice please)

jcaci88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am new to the forum.

I have tried to read through the v8 engine swaps but I am getting a head ache and dizzy with all the different combinations.

I have a 1994 Ranger V-6 4.0L 4x4

I found a motor out of 87-93 Mustang 5.0.

I have the possibility to purchase a donor 1995 Explorer 4x4 with an V8 Engine and trans set up.

I am told this is the closest set up to buy without being to far off on the compatibility to do the swap.

Is this true? If so please guide me in the right direction as to what I need to

do.

If there is anyone from NJ that has done this or knows a shop that will tackle this please let me know also.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and guidance. :icon_thumby:

joe

jcaci828@aol.com

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You do not want a shop to do the swap for you, the labor for this is way to high to be practical.

Either look for a Ranger that already has a V8, people do sell them after a swap, or plan on doing the work yourself.

The Explorer to Ranger swap is simpler because the vehicles are similar but it doesn't mean you can only use Explorer V8/trans.

First thing to decide is whether or not you want fuel injection or a carburetor.
This has to do with the height of the V8 engine in the Ranger.
Carb setups can keep engine height lower so no body lift is needed.
Some V8 engines with fuel injection have very tall intakes, so won't allow hood to close in a Ranger without a body lift, Explorer V8 has a shorter intake so can be used as is.

Carb setups also mean no computer is needed, so less wiring.
Fuel injection is better overall for MPG and reliability.
But it really comes down to what you want as the end result.

Your current Ranger trans/transfer case can't be used with a V8 engine, won't bolt to a V8 and isn't strong enough in any case.
Most Explorers were automatics and 4WD which also makes that swap better because you can use the V8 engine and trans/transfer case, although you HAVE TO then use the computer and wiring as it controls that transmission's shifting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals