• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towed my BII to deer camp

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Last weekend I towed my '87 BII from Dallas to Arkansas (650 mi round trip) behind my '03 Ram 1500, no it's not a Hemi.
I used a tow bar bought from Harbor Frieght for $35 and a set of towing lights from Orielly's for $45. The $10 tow lights from HF blow off over 55 mph, guess how I know?
Towed with Transfer case in neutral, transmission in gear and steering column unlocked. Drove Ram with overdrive off and only got 1mpg less than daily driving.
Once up there, the BII did great on narrow trails and steep hills. And cold mornings in a heated BII beat the HECK out of a ATV !
Thanks to all on this site, you have been a great help during my build that started in April.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, those harbor freight towing lights have bad reviews, you'd be better off making your own... or if you plan on doing this frequently, rig the BII's lights to work with the trucks.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That little pump in the transfer case is nice.I have a friend with a original Bronco if you sold it you could buy 5 B2s with the money.When it's all said and done it can't go anywhere my B2 can't uses more gas and if he tows it behind his motor home he has to take out the drive the drive line.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would seriously think about rigging your B2's lights to be plugged into a trailer harness. I've thought about it and it wouldn't be that hard.

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Y'all, I did consider wiring a pigtail to taillights but ran out of time with too many tasks to be done before deer season. The lights I purchased from O'rielly's are pretty good for $45, good magnets (I put a little duct tape on it anyway), and I run the wires thru the cab, out the right side vent window, under the hood to the front so no wires flap in the wind. A benefit of the towing lights is they can be mounted up high for better visibility.

I've found a liftgate from an 84 with the opening window that will go on soon, if I get wild I may try to install a high mounted brake light and towing lights.

One of these days I'll bore you with the story of buying my Bii then in the first week hiring my next door neighbor to rebuild the motor... 2 weeks later he disappears (w/some unearned money) and I get the bronco back with the motor on the floor and all (most) of the bolts in a 5 gallon bucket. It's been a fun project. :pissedoff: :fie:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals