• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock vs aftermarket u-bolts

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Is there any benefit to buying $160 u-bolts from Ford? I notice that they have a flat surface on the u portion of the bolt. I assume this doesn't concentrate so much force on a small area. Has anybody had a problem with regular round bolts? If not, why did ford do the flattened design?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
easier for the robot to handle?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Based on my experience with manufacturing robots, I doubt that it has anything to do with the robot. Fun thought, though.

After picking up a used 8.8 axle for my truck, I went to the junk yard and pulled some u-bolts there that were in excellent condition. Just a few dollars and I will have OEM u-bolts when I put the axle in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I had some made when I replaced the springs, local spring shop made them, recommended going to 9/16 for my application and drilling holes larger, the flattened u bolts seem weak to me and load distribution would be a non issue on an axletube anyway

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm... yes, I suppose I've never heard of a damaged axle tube from u-bolts. As far as reusing them, I finally found a decent explanation of why it is a bad thing. It has to do with the rolled threads deforming when the bolt is initially tightened. Supposedly, you need more torque with each subsequent reuse to get the same clamping force.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=256363

The only other reason for flattened u-bolts i can think of is to make it easier to install them straight up and down. But I think ill just buy the 40 dollar bolts for now. Maybe if I'm paranoid about it, then I can always buy the expensive ford ones down the road. Thanks for the input so far.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Z7What

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
The only reason i would consider the OEM U-Bolts to be better is that they are course thread. Most of the aftermarket U-Bolts i have seen, have been fine thread and strip very easily. Although there are aftermarket U-Bolts that are course thread so which ever route you go make sure there course thread if you want my 2 pennies.

Wayne

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Patrick,

Thanks for the info. That is all interesting.

When I replace my axle, I will be installing a lift kit. If the kit comes with new U-bolts, I will use them. Otherwise, I will probably use my junk yard bolts and keep an eye on things regarding loosening or movement between axle and springs, etc.

I have worked in Industrial maintenance for most of my career and have heard many variations of "don't re-use fasteners". My personal philosophy is " it depends". - on the type of fastener, it's function, it's condition, etc. There is no good "one size fits all" answer, especially for those on a tight budget. And at work, management gets to weigh in on the decision, too.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think locking them down to the proper torque is more important than stock vs aftermarket. Then they will need to be retightened at least once after driven for a bit. I always do so and they do take more torque after a decent length test drive.

I have heard of rigs spitting out lift blocks when the u-bolts where not re-torqued.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had some made when I replaced the springs, local spring shop made them, recommended going to 9/16 for my application and drilling holes larger, the flattened u bolts seem weak to me and load distribution would be a non issue on an axletube anyway

I learned you don't simply just drill out the holes bigger for bigger bolts. You have to hog out the outside with a die grinder. The only way for a bigger U bolt to fit on the center measurements as a smaller U bolt is for the bend to be smaller... not very feasible for going around an axle.

I thought I had the cats meow when I found a set of F-150 backing plates at the JY just sitting on top the springs. With my bigger than stock bolts nothing fit worth a darn and I ended up hogging out the holes to get it to work.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only reason i would consider the OEM U-Bolts to be better is that they are course thread. Most of the aftermarket U-Bolts i have seen, have been fine thread and strip very easily. Although there are aftermarket U-Bolts that are course thread so which ever route you go make sure there course thread if you want my 2 pennies.

Wayne
It's not because of the fine threads but cheaper material in lot of the aftermarket. Fine threads are rated at a higher torque load.
Dave

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Reason the f150 spring plates didnt work is the axletubes are bigger, I had some bolts custom made

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Reason the f150 spring plates didnt work is the axletubes are bigger, I had some bolts custom made

Both were 31 spline 8.8.

Drilling out holes moves what should be the inside of the u-bolt farther inside.

It doesn't line up quite right but this is what I am trying to say:

The holes have to line up so the ID of the bolt lines up with both hole sizes.
o o
O O

vs

o o
O O

Just drilling holes on the same center and the hole grows into where the axle tube is.

Last edited:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
My bad, didnt spend enough time reading that the first time.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

+1 for getting them bent up locally^

Our local truck/trailer service place custom bends U-bolts (they have a stock of straight U-bolt blanks of assorted sizes and lengths. You give them your measurements, they grab the right blanks and set up their U-bolt press and bango - custom U-bolts for a reasonable price!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals