• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DD a Spooled 8.8

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know this has been hashed out many times, but none of those were really comparable to my situation.

I'm running a 29" tire on a 98 2wd Ranger 2.5 5 speed. Right now it has the factory 3.45 rear.

I grabbed a 4.10 8.8 last week from a 4.0 Ranger. I have it apart and will be dropping some new bearings and brakes in it. I looked and looked for a 4.10 LSD, and couldn't find one anywhere.

I would really like some sort of locker or limited slip, but I just don't want to put that kind of money in this truck and have to deal with the extra setup. That brings up the topic of one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-8-Ford-Mini-Spool-28-Spline-Mustang-4x4-Rearend-Locker-Axle-New/222217248428?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=37338&meid=c7f37f99c4334b589db893c474e3f39b&pid=100085&rk=2&rkt=4&mehot=lo&sd=281553228342&clkid=8300499156490229719&_qi=RTM2247626

I have read that a mini spool is somewhat weak, but I'm not running huge tires, a lot of weight, or a lot of horsepower.

That being said, I do use it as a truck and tow/haul with it occasionally. If it will completely make the truck unusable during those conditions, I don't want to do it. Otherwise, the truck spends 90% of it's time running between farms on gravel roads around here. I do take it to town now and then, but not all that often.

As far as tire wear goes, the limestone gravel in this area wears them out prematurely anyway. I'm not running 200+ dollar mud tires either.

So for those that have driven with a spool, I would appreciate any feedback.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I went ahead and ordered the spool.

If nothing else, it only takes an hour or so to take it out and put the spider gears back.

Will report back after I get it in.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had 2 mini spools (actually 1 but it went into both vehicles). Both trucks were a 1990 & 94 F-150 with 8.8 rear. Be ready for chirping tires on pavement when turning slowly. Also be ready for instant 180's in the snow whenever U want. I've hauled heavy loads on rough ground with my trucks and the mini spool held up fine. U will learn to drive it don't worry.

90' above 94 below

Last edited:

jtaborsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
32's
My credo
Break. Upgrade. Repeat.
I have a 1987 Bronco II with a 4.10:1 8.8" rear end with a mini-spool. It is hell on the road. I DREAD u-turns because of how much tire chirping ($$$$ mud tires) I hear and how hard I have to ride the clutch to keep it from stalling! That being said, the vehicle is a BEAST offroad. It gets around far better than I ever expected. As of now, it has a 2.9 liter and an open front end.

My only advice would be to buy the cheapest minispool you can find. I thought I would come out ahead by buying a name-brand (G2) minispool. It was far too wide. I had to grind the mini spool as well as my oem center pin.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A lunch box style locker doesn't require gear setup. I went with an aussie locker and was happy with it. I swapped the 8.8 for a 9in a while back but I sold it to a friend with a jeep running 36s and it's still going strong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals