• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer 5.0 ranger swap

HellsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i've been told that this is the easiest v8 swap anyone can do for a ranger. that it has the motor mounts already and everything should fit just right. does anyone have any other easy fuel injected v8 swaps for ranger and do you all know what i need to do the explorer swap into mine??? i got a 99 3.0 ranger extended cab... hopefully doing this by february

mike732

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it has coil springs, the motor mounts will not work but the build is simple..

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic

HellsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
damn, i think imma just drop it some more and stay more for looks lol... thanks, that was alot of help

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
It looks way more complicated and involved than it really is...If you can pull a motor and re-install it, you can do this swap...Wiring is plug and play, just like removing your engine and re-installing another identical 3.0L...motor mounts, same, unbolt and bolt new ones. I could do this swap in a weekend if you have a donor ( and that's pulling the motor from the donor the same weekend) I was like you and put too much thought into it, did 2 years of researching....I did my swap in about a week's time, but I was doing what very few have done, put an explorer motor into a TTB ranger. The only mods I needed to do were for my oil pan (TTB crossmember is different than 98+) and an oil filter relocation kit (TTB has a gearbox, 98+ has rack and pinion). Check my build thread out, the complete swap is done in the first post, and is also in this month's TRS online mag. You should find all the info you need :icon_thumby:
SVT

hathewaya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2000 2wd ranger

If I have a 2000 2wd ranger, will a 2000 5.0 AWD explorer mount right up to mine? Like can I remove the AWD transfer case and mount up my original driveshaft?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I have a 2000 2wd ranger, will a 2000 5.0 AWD explorer mount right up to mine? Like can I remove the AWD transfer case and mount up my original driveshaft?
No -- the back of transmission is completely different between the RWD and AWD versions. Can be converted as part of a full tear down of the transmission.

If your Ranger has the torsion bar front suspension the Expo engine will bolt in, else with coil springs, you'll need custom mounting plates.

There is no combination of Ranger and Explorer that does not involve some custom wiring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals