• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help our future offroaders!

OAS

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Wasnt sure which forum to put this in. If unappropriate please move.

It seems that in their haste to "keep our kids safe" our wonderfull all knowing government has made a major blunder.

As of this week and and all atv's, dirtbikes, or other offroad vehicles designed for kids 12 years and younger have been OUTLAWED.

You read that right.

http://www.arra-access.com/arra/home.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/669/2518/Motorcycle-Article/MIC---SVIA-Against-Youth-OHV-Prohibition.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/669/2517/Motorcycle-Article/Call-to-Action-from-MX-Sports.aspx

Some of my most fond memories are of me and my friends out riding our minibikes together and having a blast.

Of taking them camping with Mom and Dad........great times!

Please follow the links, and sign the petition to keep our offroading kids on the trails and off the streets!

Thanks!
OAS

http://petitionspot.com/petitions/thumpertalk

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740626

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=613

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=170966

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's because of them containing lead?

I bought a pair for my kids. There is a sticker on it that says no riders under 12.

Problem solved.

It looks like the minis are still being sold so I guess a sticker is all it took to get around that issue.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The limits are not in affect yet. It's supposed to be sometime next year. It's because it contains they contain to many parts per/million of lead. I too believe this sucks.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't you know? Jr is far too precious to risk to anything as meaningless as "fun". He shoudl be locked in a carefully padded room untill he is somewhere around 40. How dare you expose him to he might enjoy!!!

All you have to do is look at our playgorunds to see we are going in the wrong direction!

I've been riding since I could walk. Life sure would have been different without a dirt bike!

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
who's idea was it to pass this stupid law

Cheaplabor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I guess this means I was ruined by all those lead split shots I had to bite down on to put on my line when I when fishing with my dad and papa for as far back as I can remember??? Iam sorry I wouldnt trade any of my memories with them to have been ''safe'' from the lead. This ban in complete BS...

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I didn't get a chance to ride the little toys when I grew up. So I was wheeling on big boy toys. I even learned how to drive stick before I turned 10yrs (on the old 91' Ranger).

Next up will probably be bicycles that contain dangerous points of injury. Or how about the big wheel, because it couldn't pass front conlusion saftey standards.

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just read another article about it. Sen. Amy Klobuchar was one of the Senators that penned the bill. She's also one of the ones that is fighting this restriction. There are exceptions written into the bill that federal regulators aren't putting into effect. The bill was for lead in toys that could be ingested. That's right, ingested. They are worried about a child eating the battery terminals? It sounds like this is going to have the exception eventually put into to place. For now write your reps. and sens. and express your opinions.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
conservative toyota prius driving queers :thefinger:

done with this very popular subject, f-ing over the people that have fun riding there recreational vehicles! I personally think these people are bored, due to having to much time on there hands to be thinking of pointless laws to stop us offroaders having fun...so they might as well stop fighting us and join:icon_rofl:

krissdrt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
on the news the other night 1 of the local moto dealers lost 32,000 dollars because of this new law

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
For those of you that say it has not gone into effect, explian all the local dealers completely removing all bikes and quads smaller than 125cc (part of the law/ bill) from the floors. I don't think there is much else to explain that
http://www.kotaradio.com/news.asp?eid=5002&ID=2132
And as you can read there, it is banning the repair parts as well. Which I would assume covers aftermarket parts too. My work does 85% of or sales with parts and upgrades for CRF50's, CRF100's and KLX110's ( as well as a few other small bikes, but those are the main ones). The rest is for mainly CRF150F/150R's. Needless to says, I REALLLLYYYY don't want to see this whole thing last.

The way I see it, if your kid is chewing on a motorcycle, you have bigger problems than lead to worry about... Even a 5 year old would know not to chewy on a motorcycle. Even then I think the oils, and gas would cause more problems than what little lead there is.

This whole thing is going to effect my work in a HUGE way. And the economy GREATLY too. Small bikes is where motorcycle companies make their money. You buy an CRF50 for you 5 year old, then you buy him a DRZ70 a couple years later, then a TTR125 (just some examples). Kids outgrow thier bikes, so the companies make money when you buy another one. Adults ride the same bike for quite a while.

I agree with the "no children under 12" stickers. On two of our old Honda TRX125's, it says no riders under 16 years old. I was riding those things when I was 10... They are to small for a 14 year old...

And another point of view, are they going to make auto manufactures quite making rear seating in cars? Rear seats are meant for kids, and there has got to be lead in there somewhere!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Our little ATVs are 110cc. I can fit on one if I sit on the rear package rack. My dad followed my on it on his 1500 Nomad and clocked me at 30mph. My son's been riding it since he was 6. It is dangerous, but hell, it's huge fun. He busted his teeth out sledding and a sled doesn't even have lead in it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals